Wednesday, September 15, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 22


 

"Yeah, that about covers it," Shane admitted. "I love him, I did then, and I still do, even after all this time. I know he loved me, too, but not as much as he loved his work."

 

"Did you ever say that to him?" Olivia asked.

 

Shane worried his lip between his teeth. "Probably not in so many words."

 

"You had to share him with his work, so you went all passive-aggressive and made him share you with the guys you picked up."

 

Shane snorted. "We did not get into threesomes."

 

"You know I didn't mean it that way, brat."

 

"Brat?"

 

"Well, since I'm playing the mother here, making you talk things out, it makes you my kid, so I can call you a brat, right?"

 

"If you say so…Mom. You're right, though, that was what I was doing. Now, he hates me."

 

"You're sure?"

 

Shane nodded. "I ran into him… Okay, I made it a point to go to the opening night of his newest exhibition at the gallery. His response? Yeah, he still hates me. Even so, I called him when I saw the news story about the murder, and went over because I though he might need some company."

 

"Murder?" Olivia's eyebrows shot up.

 

"Oh, yeah, well…" Shane paused when the waiter arrived with their meals, waited until he left, and then told her about what had happened to Colin's brother, and how the new murder mirrored Kenny's death.

 

"Wow," she said when he finished. "Poor guy."

 

"Exactly. I tried to be there for him, but he pushed me away, again."

 

"Then you have to push back, damn it. Call him, or better yet, go over to his place. And this time, don't take no for an answer. Not right now, though. Eat, first."

 

"Yes, Mom." He chuckled when she flipped him off, then they got down to the business of eating, pretty much in silence. He didn't know what she was thinking, however he was considering her suggestion.

 

When they finished, and paid their bills, Olivia said she was going back to her room, "To watch some mindless TV until I fall asleep." She shot him a questioning look.

 

"I'm going to Colin's, and hope he doesn't shoot first and ask questions later," he replied with a brief grin.

 

When he got to the house, he saw Colin's car in the driveway and pulled up behind it. So he can't make a run for it? Maybe. With that thought, he got out, went to the front door, and rang the doorbell.

4 comments:

  1. Shane is trying again. Cheating is not my thing as you know but I can see both sides. Both cheated in their own ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I agree that Shane's way of cheating was not good, although there were reasons behind it, but Colin was as guilty of doing so, too, in his own way.

      Delete
  2. I am glad he is trying again. Good Mom

    ReplyDelete