Monday, November 25, 2019

One Plus Two Equals… - 33


For the next month life continued on as normally as was possible for Julyan and Duane. The restaurant remained popular with its customers, to the point that Duane hired two more waiters and another cook to help in the kitchen. Every few nights Duane would disappear just as before. He told Julyan the job, which was the reason he was here in the city, had become several jobs. New Orleans was, after all, a hub of supernatural activity, more so than most other large cities, and not all supernaturals were friendly, to put it mildly.
Auden appeared twice at the condo, both times because he was severely wounded and didn't have the energy it took to shift. When that happened, Julyan cleaned and bandaged his injuries despite Auden's protesting it wasn't necessary.
"I heal, and fast," Auden had growled.
"And if they're infected," Julyan replied tartly. "Duane told me what happened the first time. Well, the first time I dealt with you, with him, with the both of you being wounded."
Auden smiled slightly despite the pain. "I suppose I owe you for that."
Backing away, Julyan held his hands out in front of him defensively. "You are not kissing me again."
"At the moment, no. I don't have the energy." The smirk on Auden's face vanished as quickly as it had appeared. "Go, get out of here and let me sleep. I promise Duane will be here when you return."
Again Julyan had seen the flash of something close to longing in Auden's eyes before he'd closed them. And again he wondered how he would react if Auden tried to do more than just kiss him, presuming even an attempt at a kiss was to happen again.

* * * *

"You're late."
"I told you I was going to Jack's to get the rest of my things," Julyan called out as he set the box down on the floor beside the door. Then, suddenly, he realized it wasn't Duane who had spoken. Stalking into the living room he gave Auden the once over, looking for whatever wounds had forced him to appear as himself rather than Duane. When he saw the man was apparently in good shape, he scowled. "Why are you here?"
"To see you."
"Well you've seen me, so please shift."
Auden shook his head, his eyes full of something Julyan was hard pressed to name, or to deal with. "I… I need…" Then with all the grace of a predatory animal Auden was on his feet. Before Julyan could move he found his upper arms held tightly in Auden's grip. "I need someone to care, if only for an hour."
"Why me?"
"Because," Auden replied, some of his smug self-confidence surfacing again, "you do care and you want to know what it would be like."
Julyan shivered at the intensity of emotion which flooded him and yet had to ask even though he knew the answer, "What 'what' would be like?"
"Damn, why are you forever asking questions?"
Julyan had an insane urge to reply, 'Because inquiring minds want to know', but didn't get the chance to say even one word as Auden roughly pulled him to his chest. Any desire to resist fled with the touch of Auden's lips to his. He felt a yearning to ease Auden's loneliness that he was unable to explain.
Lust and tenderness melded unbelievably in the kiss, each warring for ascendancy. When Auden swept him up, carrying him to the bedroom, Julyan's only thought was, This is right. This was meant to be.

6 comments:

  1. I so love this one! I was hoping he could care for both sides. It just seems right considering they are one body with two minds so to speak. But this was lovely. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally!! Auden needs some connection and love! Time to accept both parts of his lover. Way to go Julyan!

    ReplyDelete