Tuesday, November 19, 2019

One Plus Two Equals… - 30


Jack cocked an eyebrow when he saw Julyan and Duane hurry around the corner of the restaurant to the front door where everyone was waiting. "You're spending an awful lot of time with him," he whispered to Julyan. "Do I need to start looking for a new roommate?"
"Two nights is not 'a lot of time'. And no, I'm not planning on moving out."
"Well damn, and here I thought I could move my latest girlfriend in." He ducked when Julyan took a swipe at him.
A few minutes later, as everyone was getting ready to open, Duane went into the kitchen to check on Maxine and Phil to see if they needed any help. They didn't but Maxine drew him aside, a knowing gleam in her eye.
"I take it you and Julyan are becoming closer." She wrapped one finger around another to indicate how close.
"We're… working on it."
"Why do you sound so unsure?"
Duane chuckled. "Oh, I'm sure we're working on it, we just haven't gotten beyond that point, if that makes sense."
"You've at least tested the waters, I hope."
"Good grief, Maxie," her husband muttered.
"It's a legitimate question."
"Yes, Maxine, we've been to bed and before you ask…"
"I wasn't going to," she protested. "I may be nosy but I'm not that bad."
Duane laughed, thanked her for her concern, and went back to open the restaurant for the day.

6 comments: