Saturday, June 22, 2019

Fear - 23


"I deserved it. He was angry because…" Shawn looked at Gene. "Because of you. He didn't mean to hurt me. He just wanted me to understand I wasn't to be with anyone but him and… and he'd been drinking… and…" The tears he'd been holding back burst loose, rolling down the sides of his face. He tried to wipe them away but something pulled at his hand. He tugged and Gene stopped him.

"You'll pull out the IVs, Shawn," he cautioned before taking a tissue from the box on table by the bed, wiping away the tears.

"Where is he? Why isn't he here?"

"Jared Lewis?" the detective asked.

"Yes. Please go get him. Please."

"We haven't been able to find him, Shawn. Do you know where he might have gone?"

Shawn felt confused by the question. Of course he knew where Jared was. At the trailer. He said as much. "He's probably waiting for me to come home and fix his supper."

The detective leaned toward Gene, saying something quietly so Shawn couldn't hear it. Gene nodded and the detective stood. "I'll be back later, Shawn, after you've had a chance to rest again."

Shawn gave the barest nod, suddenly feeling unbearably tired and alone. He heard the detective leave then realized Gene was still there. "Go away," he said in an angry whisper. "Go away. This is your fault. All of it. Just…go away."

* * * *

For a brief moment Gene was tempted to do as Shawn asked. Then he shook his head. "I'm not going anywhere other than back to the lounge so you can sleep." Impulsively he brushed a tangled strand of Shawn's dark hair off his face. "We'll talk later."

"I don't want to talk."

"I know. Right now it's the last thing you want to do but when you change your mind, I'll be here. I promise."

Shawn opened his eyes to look at Gene. "Why?"

"Because you need a friend and I've elected myself to be just that." His lips tilted up in a small grin. "Whether you like it or not."

Shawn gave the barest of nods as his eyelids drifted closed. "I don't."

"I know. But in time…" Gene smiled when he saw Shawn was asleep. "In time, I hope you will."

Standing, he left the room.

4 comments:

  1. Poor baby, I think he is going to spiral down when he hears or reads the truth or even sees it at the trailer. You are brilliant at the cliff hangers and also an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you!
      And yes, things may get worse before they get better for Shawn.

      Delete
  2. Shawn will be a tough case to convince.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly seems as if he will be, as he doesn't see himself as abused.

      Delete