Monday, June 10, 2019

Fear - 17


Shawn shook his head, negating Gene's question as he replied, "I tripped coming out of the trailer and took a fall. Landed on my side on a rock and, well, you know." The words came out in a rush, his eyes not meeting Gene's concerned ones.

Very softly, after glancing around to be sure no one was within earshot, Gene said, "Did Jared hit you again?"

"No, he's not doing that now," Shawn protested. "He isn't! Honest. Things are good now." He grabbed the remaining bags Gene was holding, put them in with the others, and closed the truck door. "I gotta go now. I have to put the laundry in the dryers and… and…" He skittered away, making a dash inside the Laundromat.

He might not be hitting you but for damned sure he's abusing you other ways. Anger and disgust had Gene balling his hands into fists. He could see Shawn through the window as he moved the clothes from the washers to the dryers. He looked like a frightened animal caught in a trap with no idea how to escape. And you call what he feels for you love? Damn it, Shawn, when will you realize it's not?

Taking a deep breath to calm himself, Gene went into the Laundromat. Shawn had just finished moving the last load and was heading toward the bank of plastic chairs along one wall. Gene followed, sitting down beside him.

Shawn ignored him, other than to whisper, "Go away and leave me alone."

"Have you seen a doctor about your ribs?" Gene replied, ignoring his request to go. "The way you hold yourself tells me they were probably fractured, or worse, unless the supposed fall happened this morning."

"I did fall!"

"Somehow I doubt it, but even if it's the truth you need to go get checked out."

"Why do you care?"

Gene smiled slightly. "Because I'm a doctor and it's my business to care."

"Well take your caring somewhere else," Shawn spat out. "I don't need it and I don't need you hanging around me. Please, just leave me alone." He got up, moving two seats down from Gene, a pleading look on his face.

The last thing Gene wanted was to leave him alone but then the realization hit him. He's terrified someone will see us talking and Jared will find out. Damn it, Shawn, you don't deserve this. Nobody does. Reluctantly, against his better judgment as a doctor who knew Shawn needed help and as a person who cared, Gene stood and walked away without another word. As he did, he vowed he'd figure out some way to get Shawn away from Jared. He just didn't know how.

2 comments:

  1. OMFGODDESSS Shawn please open your eyes! I know he thinks he brings it to himself. I’m on the edge wondering how bad he is gonna get hurt.

    ReplyDelete