Friday, June 14, 2019

Fear - 19


Gene heard the scream of sirens as he was getting ready for bed and wondered idly just how bad the car wreck had been. He found out what had happened the next morning when he turned on the TV and caught the tail end of a local news story.

"—was found lying on the pavement in front of Jerry's Gas Station around eleven-thirty last night. According to the officers who arrived on the scene, the half-naked young man appeared to have been badly beaten and was probably dumped there by his attacker. He was rushed to County Hospital, unconscious and barely alive. So far the police have been unable to establish the young man's identity as he had no identification on him."

"Shawn," Gene growled, certain that's who it was, even as he realized there was no reason to think so other than a gut feeling.

He quickly finished dressing, grabbed his keys and phone from the nightstand, and dashed to his car, stopping just long enough to ask the desk clerk how to get to the hospital.

Upon arriving there, Gene stopped at the hospital's front desk to ask where he could find the beating victim he'd heard about on the news, showing her his ID to prove he was a doctor.

She shook her head. "I have no information on a beating victim, Dr Collins."

Gene's mouth tightened in frustration. He knew what she was saying, that as a victim who'd been beaten and was unidentified, the hospital would deny Shawn was even there for fear his attacker might show up to finish the job. Still… "I think I know who he is."

"Excuse me, sir."

Gene turned to see a police officer standing there. "Yes?"

"Why do think you know him?"

"If it's who I think it is, he's in a very abusive relationship. Yeah, that's not much to go on I know, but still—if I could see him."

The officer hesitated. "May I see your ID?"

Gene produced it, relieved that the officer wasn't taking what he'd said about being a doctor at face value.

After handing it back, the officer nodded. "It all seems to be in order. The young man is in the ICU now, under police guard, which is why I happened to be here and overhear you. I was just going off duty." He studied Gene again then said, "If you'll follow me, I can let you take a look at him. Right now he's listed as a John Doe. We'd like to change that."

6 comments:

  1. Oh my god! I am shaking so bad about this. Damn Jared. And aaarrrgggghhhh waiting for the next post is gonna be harsh .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you'll make it until Sunday. I have faith in you.

      Delete
  2. hope they take some DNA to prove who the attacker was.. gotta be a reckoning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ICU - poor Shawn. Jared has no balls - cannot even face up to what he did.

    ReplyDelete