Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Hotel – 33


"Here you are," I heard Edwin say from behind me as he put his hand on my shoulder.

I turned to look up at him. "I'm hardly hiding."

He nodded. "True. Do you have a minute? There's someone I'd like you to meet."

"Sure." I got up, telling the others I'd be back.

"Maybe you will," Edwin said when we were out of their earshot. "That was my ploy to get you to myself for a minute."

"Okay. Why?"

"Because I need someone sane to talk to?" he replied.

I laughed. "Then you've come to the wrong man."

"I don't think so." He took me to a small table at the back of the lounge, away from the general hubbub. "I've been watching your people," he said as soon as we were seated.

Sighing, knowing why, I asked, "Have any of them set off your radar, so to speak."

"Ramsey is drinking hard. Much more than the others. Is that normal for him?"

I shook my head. "It's not normal. Not that he's a teetotaler by any means, but he's over-doing it tonight."

"What was his relationship with Tessa?"

"There wasn't one that I know of. I've told you that, I think."

He nodded. "Caitlin seems to be eating up all the attention she's getting. I thought she stepped into the role because, other than Jenn, she'd the only female in your troupe at this point."

"True. As far as I knew she was quite happy making costumes and had no desire to act. Now, I'm beginning to wonder."

"What if, and this is merely supposition, she did want to act but never told you because she knew you needed her costuming skills."

"You're suggesting she killed Tessa to clear the way for her to step into the role? I don't believe that," I said emphatically.

"Think about it, Austin. You're up here, not down in the city, so there's no chance for you to get a replacement for Tessa to come up to the hotel and learn the part on such short notice. Right?"

As must as I hated to admit it, he had a point.

5 comments: