Sunday, December 16, 2018

Guardian Angels – Ambivalent - 29


"Paddy's right, he is my bodyguard," Mike said. "But right now the idea of driving, not walking, sounds good. I keep expecting Mr. Keefe to pop out and grab me or shove me in front of a moving car or what have you."
Link slung one arm across Mike's shoulders. "That's why I'm here, to keep that from happening. And before you pull away, it's going to be easier for me to hang around you if anyone who might be watching thinks we have something going on between us."
"Like Mr. Keefe," Mike muttered.
"Exactly."
Paddy glared at Link. "Since I'm the one staying with Mike, wouldn't Keefe think that about me?" 
Link arched one dark eyebrow. "You're old enough to be Mike's… Okay, I'll be nice and say older brother."
"Póg mo thóin," Paddy spat out indignantly.
"No sure what you said but I have a feeling I'd rather not know."
Paddy smirked. "Something you probably do with every man you've been with." 
"Damn it you two, will you stop." Mike quit walking, pulling away from Link. "I am not up for grabs, by either of you. If you want to fight, have at it. I'm going home." With that said he walked away, not looking back to see if they were following.
Paddy and Link quickly came up beside Mike, bracketing him between them.
"Sorry," Link said. "I'm behaving like an ass."
"As am I," Paddy said in agreement. "Your safety is what's important. Not our posturing like two…"
"Roosters?" Mike smiled slightly. "I suppose I should feel flattered but quite honestly at this point all I can think about is getting inside where I'm safe. And before you say anything, Link, my apartment has full security installed by an expert."
"Good. Then when we get there I'll leave you two at the front door, go home and get some sleep. That's my car." They were at the lot and he led them to it.
Link did exactly what he'd said, other than the fact that he actually went up in the elevator with them to make sure Mr. Keefe wasn't lurking in the hallway. "After all," he explained, "I suspect I'm the only one of the three of us who is armed."
"I have a knife, but yes, technically you are," Paddy told him.
* * * *
Once he and Paddy were in the apartment, with the door locked and the security box rearmed, Mike said "You have a knife? Where?"
"Nowhere," Paddy admitted. "I was just…"
"Trying to one-up him, sort of." Mike shook his head, heading to the kitchen. "We can have burgers again or I can make us sandwiches," he called out after checking the refrigerator. "I've got pastrami and corned beef."
"And rye bread?" Paddy asked, coming in to join him.
"Of course. Plus Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Russian dressing." He grinned. "I hit up the deli a few days ago so we can go all out and have Rubens."
"Sounds good to me. I'll help."
Ten minutes later the sandwiches were made and they were settled at the table with them and coffee.

2 comments: