Sunday, December 16, 2018

The Hotel - 28


Noah and Phil were peering out the window at us while Logan and Orville put Tessa's body into the van. A second later, the rest of the troupe was watching as well, looking none too happy about what was happening. Not that I blame them. I wasn't exactly cheerful myself, and I had more to worry about than her murder. How was I going to deal with the fact that a man I considered a friend, and maybe more, was able to turn into a wolf in the blink of an eye?

Something I would worry about later, since Orville announced, before he walked to the side door of the hotel, that he wanted to talk with everyone.

When we got inside, we found the troupe waiting for us in the large lounge. Jenn and Kirby were sitting on one of the sofas, although not close to each other. Noah was walking back and forth while Phil watched him from an armchair. Caitlin was seated stiffly on the edge of another armchair, and Marsh and Ramsey were nervously pacing the room.

"Guys," I said when everyone turned to look at us. "This is Sheriff… I'm afraid I don't know his last name."

"Just call me Orville. Everyone does," Orville said, leaning an elbow on the fireplace mantel. "As you're aware by now, Tessa Baker's body was found earlier this morning. I'm sorry to tell you she was murdered."

Although I'm certain they were expecting his words, everyone seemed shocked.

"You're sure?" Phil asked. "I mean, really sure."

"I'm afraid so," Orville replied. "I would like to talk with each of you individually. Edwin has offered me the use of his office." He looked at each person one by one then gestured to Marsh. "If you don't mind being the first, Mr. …?"

"Just Marsh," he said with a brief smile as he followed Orville out of the room.

He was back several minutes later, telling Noah he was next. Then Marsh took me aside, saying, "He asked me not to say what we talked about. I think he doesn't want to cue anyone in on what questions he'll be asking."

"That makes sense to me." I chuckled sourly. "I hope he realizes almost everyone is an actor, so they can answer questions with a straight face, as it were, while lying through their teeth."

"True, that," Marsh replied before rejoining the others.

I sensed someone behind me and turned to find Edwin standing there. "That's not quite the truth," he said quietly, after checking to be certain no one was close to us. "Orville's old enough he can sense a lie. He may not be able to find out what the truth behind the lie is, but he will know if someone is lying."

"So he can't read their minds?"

"No. He's not a vampire." He smiled wickedly. "Or old enough and an Alpha."

"What about you?" I asked, not certain I wanted to know.

"I'm an Alpha, but a young one, so no, I can't."

I hoped he was telling the truth. The last thing I wanted was him, or any one of them, knowing what I was thinking.

4 comments:

  1. And what is he thinking? Sex? Murder? Or running for the hills and not take anymore venues that he cannot control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very curious about his thoughts

    ReplyDelete