Monday, December 24, 2018

The Hotel - 32


I made my way to the bar, thanking Vern when he handed me a draft beer and told me it was on the house. Then I headed to our table. Caitlin, Phil, and Noah were talking to some of the guests, answering questions about what it was like to be actors. Noah glanced at me, rolling his eyes and I chuckled as I took the one vacant chair next to Ramsey.

He saluted me then muttered under his breath, "If one more person asks about Tessa…"

I frowned. "They have been?"

"Oh, yeah," Marsh, who was seated next to him, replied. "It's a damned good thing they think it was an accident. Even at that, they're asking for details. People, I swear."

"Human nature. You know that," I told them just as a man and woman came over.

She told Ramsey she thought his performance as Van Helsing was better than "that actor in the movie." Then she said, "I'm so sorry you lost one of your cast members."

"Now, dear," the man said, "What did I tell you about mentioning her? I'm sure they've had enough of that already."

"I just wanted them to know…" She didn't get to finish as her husband put his arm around her and steered her away from us.

"You were right," Ramsey muttered to me. "Ghouls, all of them." He finished his drink and flagged down one of the girls to order another one. When she returned she had a tray with drinks for everyone at the table. She pointed to the couple who had been asking about Tessa, saying they had bought them. We all lifted our glasses in thanks.

"Salving their conscience?" Marsh asked with a dry smile.

I told him to behave, getting chuckles from the others. I wondered what to do with my second draft, since I intended to keep to my usual routine and make my first one last through the evening. Phil apparently picked up on my quandary because he reached for the glass, telling me he'd take care of it. Then he got up, heading to the washroom. When he got back, he set the empty glass on the table, winking at me.

Thankfully, with the exception of Ramsey, everyone was taking things slowly, waving off offers of fresh drinks from some of the guests while politely thanking them. I wanted to tell Ramsey to slow down, but didn't. As I'd told Orville, I'm not their keeper.

2 comments:

  1. Can not “Dad” people who work for you or with you. Good installation

    ReplyDelete