Friday, March 17, 2023

9 - Caomhnóir

 

After the night of the attack, Thom figured he’d never see Keegan again. The man had walked him home as promised and then turned and walked away with a brief “Goodbye” flung over his shoulder.

 

It wasn’t until he was getting ready for bed that the whole thing finally sank in. He’d been saved by someone who, except for his modern clothes, could have been a warrior from some ancient time. And, Thom thought, puzzled, just where the hell had Keegan stashed his weapons once the fight was over. He certainly wasn’t carrying them during the walk to Thom’s apartment building.

 

“Very, very weird,” he murmured as he finished washing up and picked up his toothbrush. “En guarde,” he said, striking a fencer’s pose, the toothbrush his sword, before laughing softly. “That’s about my speed,” he said to his image in the mirror.

 

The next few days passed as normal, the only reminder of that night the slowly fading bruise on his side. Then one evening, as he left his job at the restaurant and began walking home, Keegan appeared at his side. “Care for some company?” he asked.

 

Thom looked at him in surprise. “I—Sure, why not.” They walked in silence for a few minutes before Thom said, “I never expected to see you again.”

 

“Same here,” Keegan replied. “But for some reason I can’t seem to get you out of my head.”

 

Stopping abruptly, Thom turned to stare at him. “That sounded decidedly like a come-on line from a bad television show.”

 

Keegan shrugged. “Be that as it may, it’s the truth.”

 

With a small smile, Thom replied, “I’ve been thinking of you too. It’s not often I get rescued by a man armed with ancient weapons.”

 

“I would hope that has never happened to you before. I don’t like the idea of you putting yourself in such situations that you would need to be.”

 

It was Thom’s turn to shrug. “I’m gay, which seems to rile some people’s feathers.”

 

“Isn’t that supposed to be ‘ruffle’ feathers?” Keegan asked with a chuckle.

 

“Either/or. It still happens. Something I’d have thought you wouldn’t be aware of.”

 

“Meaning you think I’m straight.”

 

“Well, yeah.”

 

Keegan smiled. “I’m not. Therefore we have at least one thing in common.”

 

“Other than you saving my life?”

 

“There is that, so I think you owe me a reward.” Keegan’s face was serious but his eyes twinkled, something Thom picked up on immediately.

 

“I can do that. Would a drink at the local club work?”

 

“To start with, yes. From there, well, we’ll negotiate.”

 

 

 

2 comments: