Tuesday, March 7, 2023

(4) Caomhnóir

 

 

“Sexy,” Keegan declared as his gaze raked over Thom. “I am not certain I should let you leave the house like that.”

 

“Says the man whose pants are so tight they leave nothing to the imagination. And that shirt, Keegan, where in the world did you find it?”

 

Keegan grinned wickedly. “I believe it was one I absconded with during the Revolution.”

 

“French or American?” Thom asked, cocking an eyebrow in amusement.

 

“The Glorious Revolution actually. Now that was an interesting time.” Keegan smiled in remembrance before shaking his head. “But that’s neither here nor there at the moment. Shall we leave before I change my mind and ravage you on the spot?”

 

Thom hesitated, apparently giving Keegan’s question serious thought. Then, with a laugh, he dropped a quick kiss on his lover’s lips and headed out of their bedroom.

 

* * * * *

 

Pressing his mouth to Thom’s ear so that he’d hear him, Keegan said, “I don’t remember it being so loud.”

 

Thom thumbed towards the band a few feet away before taking Keegan’s hand, leading him through the crowded room to the bar. Luck was with them, two men vacated their stools just as they got there, taking their drinks with them. Thom immediately snagged one, Keegan the other.

 

The bartender showed up moments later, grinning as he held out a hand to Keegan. “Damn, man, I thought you’d fallen off the face of the earth,” he said cheerfully.

 

“Just briefly,” Keegan replied with a laugh, shaking the man’s hand. “But I’m back and not planning on going anywhere for a while. My raison d'être,” he added, slinging an arm around Thom’s shoulders, “will keep me here as long as possible.”

 

Resting the palms of his hands on the bar, the bartender leaned in to say with a chuckle, “From the look on his face he’s not going to let you leave again no matter what.”

 

Keegan turned to look at Thom for a moment, nodding before replying, “As it should be, my man. Now, how about you serve us up a couple of drinks, a Guinness for me and,” he cocked an eyebrow at Thom.

 

“Half and half, please.” Thom leaned back against Keegan, studying his profile intently.

 

“What?” Keegan asked softly.

 

“Nothing. Just—“ He shrugged.

 

Mo ghrá, I am here,” Keegan murmured, “for the year at least, and if possible, for more.”

 

“I know.” Thom smiled ruefully. “I’m just being a wuss as usual.”

 

“But my wuss and I’m not complaining in the least.”  

 

Thom chuckled. “The wuss and the tough guy, it sounds like the title of a bad song.”

 

“A love song.” Keegan grinned, rubbing his knuckles along Thom’s jaw. “Our love song.” He picked up his drink which the bartender had just set down in front of him, waiting for Thom to do the same. Then he tapped the edge of his glass with Thom’s. “To us, now and forever, no matter what comes.”

 

With a smile, Thom agreed. “To us, always.”

No comments:

Post a Comment