Monday, March 13, 2023

(7) Caomhnóir

 

Alasdair tapped his chin as he listened to Keegan’s plan. Finally he said, “With a few modifications it will work. Finding him will, of course, be the hardest part. A man such as he does not stay long in one place despite the fact that he has a family.”

 

“A family as intent on terrorism and expanding his illegal drug activities as he was before his death.” Keegan paced the office, his boot heels clicking on the hardwood floor. “If I start with his siblings and nephews I should be able to bring him out of the woodwork.”

 

“Never forget what he is, Keegan.”

 

“My polar opposite, I know. However he is eons less experienced than I.”

 

“That makes him no less dangerous. He was not offered the choice to become a Scriostóir for his good looks.”

 

Keegan smiled at Alasdair’s small joke.  “I am well aware of that.”

 

For the next half hour they worked diligently to refine Keegan’s basic plan into one that should be successful without endangering anyone other than Keegan and his foe.

 

When they were finished, Keegan cleared his throat. “I have a favor to ask.”

 

Alasdair nodded. “Which would be?”

 

“While I’m gone, keep an eye on Thom.”

 

A frown creased Alasdair’s forehead. “Do you not trust him?”

 

“Hell yes I trust him! However I do not trust Darius.”

 

Placing his elbows on the edge of his desk, Alasdair laced his fingers together, resting his chin on them as he stared at Keegan, contemplating what he had said. Finally he asked, “Do you have reason not to?”

 

“Nothing specific, no, just a feeling of unease where he’s concerned. We ran into him at the club last week. He made it a point to let me, and Thom, know that he was not particularly pleased that we were together. Oh, he made a joke of it, and went off in search of someone to keep him company for the night, but I could tell that he was more than half serious. Then he showed up outside the club as we were leaving. Coincidental, perhaps, but I don’t want to take the chance that it wasn’t.”

 

“I understand. I can send him off sooner than I’d planned for the job I’ve got in mind.”

 

“If you do he might suspect there’s more to it than just getting an early start. Besides which there’s nothing to keep him from coming back whenever he feels like it. I’d much prefer that Thom has some protection, something neither he nor Darius would be aware of.”

 

“Very well, I shall set something up.”

 

Keegan bowed his head slightly, saying “Thank you, mo ceannasaí.”

 

“Just complete the job successfully. That will be all the thanks I need.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment