Monday, April 25, 2022

You Belong to Me – 85

 

Silas hesitated and then asked, “Would you hate me if I got him a good lawyer? One who could get him off on an insanity plea? He’d still be behind bars, so to speak, but maybe he’d get the help he needs.”

 

Corey hesitated, then nodded. “I think that wouldn’t be a bad idea.”

 

“Meaning not great, but….”

 

“But what he needs.”

 

“Thank you. Thank you for listening to me, and talking to me, and understanding.”

 

“You’re welcome. I only have one request of you. Do not blame yourself.”

 

“I’ll try not to.”

 

“Good. And if you need someone to talk to….”

 

Silas actually managed a smile. “I’ll call my local shrink.”

 

“I meant me,” Corey said, smiling back. “But yeah, that would probably be better in the long run.”

 

“Probably. For now though, I should let you go home. I’ve kept you way too long, and to be honest, I’m beginning to freeze to death.”

 

“Do you need a ride?”

 

Silas shook his head. “I’m parked over there, but thanks.”

 

“Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow. And Silas, this conversation was just between the two of us, I promise.” And Scott, he added silently.

 

“Thank you… again.”

 

“No problem.”

 

 

2 comments: