Wednesday, April 13, 2022

You Belong to Me – 79

 

Corey had just stepped out of the shower and was drying off when he heard his phone ringing in the bedroom. Panic spiked.

 

What if it’s the cops calling to tell me the stalker… the stalker was waiting for Scott when he got home and killed him? What if it’s the stalker calling to gloat that he’s eliminated Scott and he’s coming for me now?

 

Then common sense took hold. The police would show up in person if anything had happened to Scott. As for the stalker, if he had killed Scott….

 

Shakily, Corey wrapped the towel around his waist and went to answer the phone.

 

“I’m downstairs,” Scott said. “I buzzed, but you didn’t answer.”

 

“I was in the shower. Are you? Is everything okay?”

 

“I’ll tell you when I get up there.”

 

Quickly Corey went to buzz him in before hurrying back to the bedroom to put on jeans and a sweatshirt. By the time he was finished, Scott was knocking on the door.

 

One look from Scott when Corey let him in told Corey something had happened. The first words out of Corey’s mouth were, “Are you okay?”

 

Scott nodded seriously. “I’m alive, so yeah.”

 

“Meaning? Oh hell. He was there. At your apartment. Did you…?”

 

“He’s under arrest, and in the hospital right now being treated for his wounds.”

 

“So it’s over,” Corey said quietly, a wave of relief washing over him.

 

“All over but the cheering. And the trial. And his ending up in prison… hopefully.” Scott wrapped his arms around Corey and held him tightly. “For now, though, yeah, it’s over. You can go back to your normal life without looking over your shoulder or being afraid to answer the phone.”

 

“So can you,” Corey replied, savoring the embrace while he could. He had the feeling it might be the last he’d ever get from Scott. “Well, minus the phone bit. You probably look over your shoulder most of the time, just in case. Do you have another job, now that you’re done keeping me safe?”

 

Scott shook his head, saying softly, “Nothing yet, although I’m sure there’s something or other in the works. There always is. But that’s neither here nor there at the moment. We need to talk about us.”

 

“Us?”

 

         “Yes, us. You and me.”

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Will we ever know the creep's training/background?
    Hoping for a Scott and Corey HEA. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they'll find out eventually. As for the HEA, it will probably happen, but that's all I'll say. *G*

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Scott thinks so, I'm sure Corey does, too. They just have to work out the logistics, so to speak.

      Delete