Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Never Again – 36

 


Early the next morning, as soon as everyone had arrived at the site, Cal called a meeting.

"I was thinking about what happened yesterday and I came to a conclusion. It's not one I like but what few facts I have seem to back it up."

Joseph sat to one side of the group, watching as Cal spoke. He saw two of the older members of the team nod as if they knew what Cal was going to say next.

"Unfortunately, there is no way I can chalk up what happened to Joe as an accident," Cal continued, anger tingeing his voice as he paced back and forth. "I was up on the balcony a few minutes before the drywall fell and it wasn't up there. Not leaning against the railing, not leaning against the wall. Nowhere!"

"So you're saying someone tried to kill Joe," one of the men called out.

"I'm saying it wasn't an accident. Whether it was aimed at Joe specifically or he just happened to be in the wrong spot at the right time, I don't know." Cal shot a look at Joseph. "I called him last night to see how he was doing and mentioned what I was thinking. He says he doesn't have any enemies who would go to such lengths and I believe him."

Joseph nodded in agreement when several of the people turned to look at him.

"So some bastard's trying to sabotage us by hurting someone?" another man asked angrily.

"That's what I'm thinking," Cal replied, scowling. "So I want each and every one of you to be on your guard. Work in pairs, don't go anywhere alone, and keep an eye open for anything that looks wrong to you. If I'm right, whoever did this could set their sights on other kinds of sabotage, like a materials fire or damaging machinery. Or—" he paused until he had everyone's undivided attention, "—doing something to the respirators or the other safety gear."

"The fucker touches my gear and he's dead meat," Lars growled. Several of the others shouted or nodded in agreement.

Cal waited until they had quieted down then said, "All right, now you know. I wish I was wrong but I don't think I am. So let's get to work and don't let the son-of-a-bitch win. We are going to finish the job and have a place for those who need it to live and regain their self-respect."

Cheers went up as the crew dispersed to start work.

* * * *

"That went well I think," Joseph said as he hobbled along beside Cal on their way to the storage shed holding the extra safety gear. He didn't have to hobble; the wound on his leg was already healing. But for appearances sake, he felt it was better to act like the 'wounded warrior' as he thought of it.

Cal nodded, a scowl still marring his handsome face. "Did you spot anyone who seemed worried we're going to be on the alert for more trouble?"

"No. Did you get a chance to check who came on after we started working here?"

"Yep. There are only three men who haven't been on at least one other site. They came well recommended though, which is why they're here."

"Who did the recommending?"

"Carl for two of them, and Steve for the other one."

Joseph frowned. "Carl? I don't think I know him."

"Carl Folkes. Remember I told you about him? He's one of our supporters. He started donating to Rebuild a couple of weeks after I met you."

"Which would have been a while before you even thought about buying this place."

"True. And he was a big help with getting a couple of the licenses pushed through afterwards." Cal unlocked the padlock on the storage shed and opened the door, flicking on the bare overhead light. "Looks like nothing's been messed with in here."

"Score one for the home team," Joseph said with a wry grin.

His words were negated a minute later when one of the men came running over. "Cal, you need to come look at this." He and Cal followed as the man led them around the building to the back. One of the doors, leading into what would eventually be the utility room holding the heating and electrical equipment, hung half off its hinges. At the moment the area was being used to store cans of paint. Cal took one look and began swearing loudly. At least a third of the cans had been opened, their contents poured out onto the concrete floor.

"Guess you hit the nail on the head, Cal," Joseph said tightly.

"It's one nail I wish I'd missed," Cal growled in reply, running a hand over his closely cropped hair. "Okay, Pat, get a couple of the guys and see what you can do about cleaning up this mess."

Pat nodded. "Are you going to call the cops?"

"Not if I can help it. Some of the guys, well, they'd rather not have any dealings with the police."

"Yeah, I'm one of them," Pat admitted. "I had enough of them on the streets." With an angry shake of his head, he took off to find some help.

"It occurs to me," Joseph said, "that might be just what the saboteur wants. If you called in the police, a lot of the men might walk away rather than deal with them."

"Exactly. We lose them, we're up shit creek until we can get more and that could be difficult. So I guess we're on our own with this. The question is, how do we find out who the bastard is and more to the point, who's behind him?"

"We'll figure it out somehow."

"I wish I was as optimistic as you," Cal replied. "I guess for now though, we'd better get back to work. And for you—" he shot a stern look at Joseph, "—that means something not too strenuous. If I had my way, you wouldn't even be here, you stubborn man."

Joseph smiled. "But I am, and I'll find something to keep me busy that won't get you on my case."

No comments:

Post a Comment