Wednesday, March 27, 2024

81 – This Gift, This Curse

 


While Will and Mira were talking to Captain Newsome, Mick was having a conversation of his own with Kevin.

 

"If I move in with you guys, I'm going to want to pull my weight."

 

"And this is a problem why?"

 

"No job, no education."

 

"Once you get your GED, you'll have both."

 

Mick snorted softly. "A piece of paper that claims I'm reasonably competent in areas most high school students spent four years learning. And that's if I even pass the test to get it."

 

"Hey now, why are you suddenly questioning what you can do? You're smart and self-sufficient; you just have to believe in yourself. You'll get it, and then get a decent job. If you want to, you can go to college."

 

"The job, yeah. Now that I've got proof I'm me so I can get a copy of my Social Security card." Mick pointed to the letter from his mother containing his birth certificate, which had come the previous day. "But the other…" He shook his head. "College is great, if you can afford it. And don't go telling me I can get a scholarship. You know that's not happening."

 

"We'll figure something out."

 

Mick smiled wryly. "What if there is no 'we'? What if you get tired of having me around?" He held up one hand to stop Kevin from saying anything quite yet. "Yeah, right now we're close. Real close. But we barely know each other when you stop to think about it. I've spent the last four years just surviving. If it weren't for Will, I'd still be doing it. You? You grew up in a loving environment. You're educated, in school… you've got everything a guy like me could want and can't have."

 

"Okay, enough!" Kevin said sharply. "Yeah, you've had it rough and you know what? It's made you one hell of a person. So stop putting yourself down. As for my getting tired of you, as you put it, isn't that a chance everyone takes when they get involved with someone? You could just as easily get tired of me. Shit happens, as they say. That doesn't mean you give up on everything you've been working for because you're afraid we might not make it as a couple."

 

"I guess," Mick replied. His mouth tightened when his gaze fell on the letter again.

 

Kevin must have seen it because he asked, "Is there more in there than your birth certificate? Is that why you're so down on yourself now?"

 

Instead of answering, Mick picked up the envelope, took out a sheet of paper and handed it to Kevin.

 

Kevin read it, shaking his head. "What a bitch. Sorry. I know she's your mother, but what a bitch."

 

Mick grimaced. "Yeah, I agree, but still… I mean if my own mother thinks I'm worse than useless, how can anyone else see me differently?"

 

"I can think of five people right off the top of my head who do—me, Mom, Dad, Sue, and Charlie. And that's just the beginning. Once you start meeting other people, they'll think the same way we do, that they're damned lucky they know you." Kevin balled up the letter, throwing it into the wastebasket. Then he put his arms around Mick. "Don't let one poor excuse for a human being screw with your head. Okay?"

 

"Okay," Mick whispered. Looking at Kevin he said, "You really do think I can do this. The GED, the job—maybe even college."

 

"I know you can. And for what it's worth, I'm going to push you hard to make sure it happens."

 

Mick chuckled softly. "You are definitely your father's son."

 

"And that's not a bad thing, I don't think."

 

"Nope, it's great."

No comments:

Post a Comment