Monday, March 11, 2024

73 – This Gift, This Curse

 


Half an hour later, Kevin was saying adamantly, "You are not going back to living the way you were."

 

"Oh really?" Will replied, cocking an eyebrow.

 

"Yeah, really."

 

Will chuckled. "You are definitely your mother's son."

 

"And yours," Kevin stated.

 

"He's got a point," Mick put in. He was standing behind Kevin, since there was only one chair, with his hands on Kevin's shoulders.

 

"Did I ask you?" Will said, smiling slightly.

 

"Nope, but I'm telling you anyway. You want me off the streets? Well it's time to put your money where your mouth is, or whatever that saying is. I get off, you get off."

 

"Exactly," Kevin agreed, looking up at Mick.

 

"Well…" Will let the word hang there.

 

"I mean it," Kevin said. "I want a father I can find when I need him, without having to troll the city's alleys looking for him."

 

"You really do mean that, don't you?"

 

"Yes," Kevin replied. "I've lived eighteen years thinking you were either dead, like Mom said, or had deserted us. Now I know you're alive. I want you in my life. Is that so surprising?"

 

"To me? Yes, it is. I'm not what you think I am. I'm not father material."

 

"Bull," Mick spat out, before Kevin could reply.

 

"That seems to be the word of the day," Will said with a small laugh. "First Mira, then you. Care to try for a trifecta, Kevin?"

 

Kevin chuckled. "I'll pass, but he's right. Look how you took care of him." He smiled wryly. "I think maybe I'm jealous?"

 

"I would have done the same for you, if I'd known you existed," Will replied quietly. "Or I hope I would have."

 

"Well now you do." Kevin clasped Will's hand tightly. "Please, for me, stop living on the streets. You're worth much more than that. I know it."

 

"I'd have to find a job," Will replied pensively.

 

"Talk to that captain. Umm, Newsome?" Mick said.

 

Will nodded slowly. "Perhaps. I guess it's worth a try. He did say…" He shook his head.

 

"That he wanted you back?" Kevin asked hopefully.

 

"He implied that, yes. Or at least that it was time for me to do something with my life again."

 

"See! So we're not the only ones who think that."

 

"Nope." Will smiled at him. "You, Mick, the captain, your mother. It looks like I'm outnumbered."

 

"Well, if Mom thinks you should then you've got no choice in the matter."

 

"No, Kevin. If you think I should, that's what will make the difference. And I get that you do, so… when I get out of here, I think maybe I'll go pay a visit to the captain."

 

"Yes!" Kevin pumped his fist in the air.

 

Will laughed. "No guarantees he'll go for it."

 

"He'd better," Mick growled.

 

Will looked at him, then at Kevin. "One question. As the father of record, have you two done anything more than… well, you know." He suddenly felt embarrassed about asking but wanted to find out exactly how far things had progressed between them.

 

Kevin actually blushed, stuttering out, "Umm… Not yet."

 

"When have we had the chance?" Mick added, squeezing Kevin's shoulder. "The only times we've been alone together he was either studying for that exam, or so tense and worried about what had happened to you that, well…" He spread his hands. "You get the picture."

 

"But you're planning on it at some point?"

 

Kevin looked up at Mick for a long moment before replying. "Maybe. Probably."

 

"Then I want you to understand one thing. You use protection."

 

Mick burst out laughing. "Now that was a true 'father' statement."

 

"I'm serious," Will grumbled.

 

Kevin smiled. "I know… Dad."

 

Will felt his world settle into place with that one word.

No comments:

Post a Comment