Tuesday, March 19, 2024

77 – This Gift, This Curse

 


Kevin felt incredibly nervous when he and Mick entered his apartment. I'm being stupid. He's been here a million times before.

 

Seeming to sense it, Mick immediately headed to the kitchen. Opening the refrigerator, he took out two sodas, coming back to hand one to Kevin.

 

"This has so much caffeine in it I won't sleep for a week," Kevin said after thanking him.

 

"Then why do you have it?" Mick asked, flopping down on the sofa.

 

"For when I know I'll be up all night studying."

 

"Only you." Mick patted the sofa beside him.

 

"Nope, it's a tried and true remedy used by all college students—or so I've been told," Kevin replied as he sat down.

 

Mick looked at the red and green can, popped the tab, and took a drink. "Yuck."

 

Kevin broke out in laughter. "It's not that bad."

 

"It's not that good either." Then Mick grinned. "At least I got you laughing.

 

"You're good at that."

 

"Not always," Mick replied, his look darkening for a moment. Then he smiled again. "So now what? We play Scrabble until you're too tired to think?"

 

Kevin snorted. "Not a game I own." He wondered why Mick had looked upset and almost asked. No, he'd tell me if he wanted me to know. I hope.

 

"Do you own any games?"

 

"Other than the ones on my laptop? Nope."

 

Mick sprang to his feet, much to Kevin's surprise. He went to the desk, coming back with the laptop, Kevin shook his head.

 

"So show me," Mick said, booting up the machine.

 

Kevin leaned against him so he could see, pointing to a file that was labeled 'Games'. After Mick clicked on it, they looked at the list, finally settling on a puzzle game. They switched off, each taking one level while prompting each other when they got stuck.

 

"Ha, beat it," Mick exclaimed when he finished the last level.

 

"Only because I helped," Kevin told him, laughing.

 

"Yeah, and…?" Mick turned to look at him and their gazes locked.

 

Kevin swallowed. He knew what he wanted to do and it was more than just kissing Mick. That they'd done before, several times. Nothing erotic, just shared, gentle kisses. His gaze flicked down to Mick's lips… and lower. The laptop in Mick's lap impeded his view, so impulsively he picked it up, setting it at the end of the sofa. Mick wasn't hard, but there was a definite bulge in his jeans. Kevin quickly looked up at him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment