Saturday, December 30, 2023

38 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

Mick grabbed his coffee, and Kevin's, told the twins it was nice to have met them, and followed Kevin out onto the sidewalk, handing him his coffee. "You forgot this."

 

"Oops. Yeah. I just wanted to get away before she made any more of an issue about coming over."

 

Mick nodded. "She's got a thing for you, I think."

 

"Naw, she's just friendly, and"—he chuckled—"tenacious."

 

"If you say so."

 

They walked home slowly, both of them aware that Kevin was feeling the effects of the long day. When they reached their floor in the apartment building, Mick said impulsively, "Why don't you come eat with us?"

 

"Are you sure Will won't mind?"

 

"Naw, he's pretty easy-going," Mick replied, and hoped that was true in this case.

 

"Then sure. Let me drop my things off first. Which apartment?"

 

"That one." Mick pointed to the one at the other end of the hall from Kevin's. "I'll see you in a few then."

 

"Yep."

 

Mick watched him walk away then hurried down to his apartment. The minute he was inside he announced, "Kev's coming for supper."

 

Will cocked an eyebrow. "Good thing I made stew then."

 

"From a can?"

 

Will snorted. "Nope, from scratch. When I get the chance, I like real food. How did it go this afternoon?"

 

"Strange. Well, sort of. Sue, that's the girl we saw him with, is very nice if a bit pushy. I'm pretty sure she's got a thing for Kev."

 

"Why's that strange? As far as she knows, he's straight."

 

"It wasn't her; it's her brother. Her twin. His name is Charlie and he seems… well, possessive maybe."

 

"How so?"

 

"It's hard to put a finger on. He doesn't act it, or at least not from what little I saw of him. I mean outwardly. But when she was pushing to come over to Kev's place to help him study I caught him frowning, like he didn't like the idea."

 

"Maybe he just doesn't trust her alone with Kevin?"

 

"To study?"

 

"At his apartment, with no parent around."

 

"Damn, Will, it happens all the time and she's a big girl. I'm sure she knows how to take care of herself and say 'No' if she doesn't want something to happen."

 

"But brothers tend to worry, especially twins, I suspect."

 

Mick nodded. "There's one other thing, he's tall and blond."

 

Will didn't get a chance to comment as there was a rap on the door. Mick hurried to answer, letting Kevin in.

 

"Something smells good," Kevin said after greeting Will.

 

"My special homemade stew, which should be ready now. I finished job hunting early, and wanted to give Mick a break from cooking." He chuckled when Mick gave him the finger when Kevin wasn't looking. "So, Mick… if you'd set the table, please."

 

"I'll help," Kevin said, following Mick into the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment