Sunday, December 24, 2023

35 – This Gift, This Curse


 

Mick and Will were in the lobby, along with two other people who lived in the building. Mick came over as soon as Kevin stepped off the elevator.

 

"Hey, maybe you can help me?"

 

"With?" Kevin asked.

 

"We're new here and I have to figure out how to get to the college campus."

 

Playing along, Kevin said, "New student?"

 

"Well, maybe in the future. Right now I have to pick up the stuff I need to study for my GED. Oh, by the way, I'm Mick. That's my dad, Will." He nodded toward Will.

 

"I'm Kevin, and this is my mom. She's on her way back home."

 

Will came over, introducing himself to Mira. "You're from out of state?"

 

"Yes. I came out here for a short visit." At that moment they heard someone honking. "And it looks as if my cab is here. It was nice to meet you, Will."

 

Kevin held the front door open for her, saying before following her out, "I'll be right back, Mick. Don't go anywhere. I can walk you over to the campus."

 

"Great," Mick called back as the door closed.

 

When they got to the cab, Mira hugged Kevin carefully. "You keep in touch. Call me every night. Okay?"

 

"Of course it's okay." He kissed her cheek. "I'm going to be all right, so stop worrying, and you take care of yourself too."

 

She nodded. "I will." As she got into the cab she said "Love you."

 

"Love you too, Mom. And thanks for… everything."

 

"Hey, you're my son. For you, anything."

 

"A million dollars?"

 

Mira snorted, saying, "You and I both wish," before closing the cab door.

 

Kevin waved as it took off then went back inside. Mick and Will were the only people there at that point so Kevin felt free to say, "Do you really want to walk over to the campus with me?"

 

"Yeah," Mick replied. "It will be a good way for us to be seen together, so people get used to it. Obviously I can't go to class with you but maybe when you get out we can meet at that coffee house you talked about."

 

"Sure, that works." Kevin glanced at Will and grinned. "While you go job hunting."

 

Will laughed. "Or something. Now you two better get going or you'll be late for class, Kevin."

 

"Good point. See you later."

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment