Thursday, December 28, 2023

37 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

"Hey, Mick." Kevin eased into the chair beside Mick's with a small groan, dropping his backpack on the floor beside him while muttering, "I'm so ready to go home."

 

"Then why don't we?" Mick replied.

 

"Because you wanted to meet my friends?" Kevin chuckled wryly. "All two of them."

 

"Okay, good point. Where are they?"

 

Kevin pointed to the counter across the room. Mick saw the blonde girl standing there, talking to a taller, equally as blond young man.

 

"So she does have a boyfriend."

 

"Nope, that's her twin."

 

Studying the young man, Mick got a worried feeling. He matched to a fair degree what little Will had been able to see of one of Kevin's attackers. Which is crazy, since he's her brother, but—

 

"You okay?" Kevin asked, tapping Mick's shoulder.

 

"Yeah." He smiled, watching the twins as they came over to the table.

 

"Sue, Charlie, this is Mick, the guy I told you about."

 

Sue set one of the Styrofoam cups of coffee she was carrying down in front of Kevin and sat beside him, across from Mick. "It's nice to meet you. I hear you're planning on enrolling in college."

 

"If I can get my GED," Mick replied. "And that's a big if right now."

 

"Why?" Charlie asked, after taking the remaining chair.

 

Mick shrugged. "Things are just chaotic at the moment, what with the move and Dad looking for a job. You know how that is."

 

"Well, not really, but I'll take your word for it." Charlie turned his attention to Kevin. "You look beat."

 

"I am, so I don't think I'll be staying long. I can study at home just as well as here."

 

"I'll come help you," Sue volunteered. "Since you missed a couple of days, and there's that exam tomorrow."

 

"We both can," Charlie quickly added.

 

"No, that's all right. Honest. As small as my place is, we'd be running into each other, besides which, I was planning on napping first. I really am beat."

 

"We could come over later," Sue told him.

 

"Sue, give the guy a break," Charlie muttered. "After what he's been through, he probably needs some peace and quiet." He chuckled. "And you are neither peaceful nor quiet."

 

"But…" She sighed "Okay. But, Kev, if you do decide you want a study-buddy, you have my number."

 

Mick watched the exchange, noting Charlie's quick frown when she said that, which vanished as soon as it appeared.

 

Kevin smiled, patting her hand. "I do, and I'll at least call if I get stuck on something."

 

"You better!" Sue grinned, taking a sip of her coffee. "I'll feel personally responsible if you fail the exam because I didn't push you hard enough."

 

Charlie glanced at Mick and shook his head. "And when she pushes, she pushes. Right, Kev?"

 

"Big time," Kevin agreed. He took a swallow of his coffee and set it back down. "I think I'm going to head out now. Mick, if you want to stay and get to know them better, feel free."

 

"No, I promised Dad I'd make supper, since he's pounding the pavements job hunting, so I'll come with you."

 

"Okay. See you later, guys," Kevin said, hoisting his backpack over on shoulder.

 

"And call, damn it, if you need help," Sue said, gripping his hand for a minute. "I mean it."

 

"I will. I will." Kevin laughed. "Persistent, aren't you? I promise I will."

 

"Very persistent," Charlie said. "She wouldn't be her if she wasn't."

 

Again, Mick noticed the brief frown that was gone seconds later.



No comments:

Post a Comment