Wednesday, December 20, 2023

33 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

"Okay, can we get back to what I was saying?" Will said. "He saw you and pointed you out to me, Kev. You were walking away then you said something to the young lady you were with and looked back, toward the theater, I guess. I saw your face and flashed onto what was going to happen to you."

 

"Is that always the way it happens?"

 

"Most of the time the future I see is immediate, which gives me a chance to step in and try to change it for the person involved."

 

"Interesting." Kevin tapped his fingers on his book then put it aside and leaned over to get his coffee that was on the table next to the sofa. "Damn, I forgot," he growled when his aching body protested the move.

 

Mira immediately went into the kitchen, coming back with two pills and a glass of water, which she gave to him. After he swallowed them, he looked at Will again.

 

"Does it happen often?"

 

"Not every day, or even every week, but often enough—and only when someone's in danger. But enough about me for the moment, because I have a question for you. You told the officer who interviewed you that the girl you were with was just a friend."

 

"Which she is, both her and her brother. And as I told the officer, I don't know if she has a boyfriend, although if she did, I think she'd have mentioned him to me."

 

"You also said she didn't have any ex-boyfriends that you know about."

 

"Nope, but honestly, that's not anything that's come up in conversations."

 

"Is she interested in you?"

 

Kevin shook his head. "No, at least not that way. As I said, we're just friends. We study together, with her brother, since we're taking a lot of the same classes, and sometimes we just hang out at the coffee house, but that's it." He was about to say more when the meds and exhaustion took hold and he yawned instead.

 

"Okay, guys," Mira said, "I think it's time we call it a night. Kev's still recuperating, obviously, and needs to get to bed."

 

"Sorry," Will replied as he got up. "I get carried away sometimes. We'll see you in the morning."

 

"To continue the inquisition?" Kevin asked with a tired smile.

 

Will chuckled. "Nope. That'll happen after you get home from school."

 

Kevin glanced quickly at Mick then back to Will. "I can hardly wait."

 

"Out, both of you," Mira ordered.

 

"Yes, ma'am," Will replied, smiling at her.

 

For a moment she smiled back before saying sternly, "Now."

 

"Going, going," Mick said, leading the way out of the apartment.



No comments:

Post a Comment