Sunday, February 20, 2022

You Belong to Me – 53

 

“I’ll be glad when winter is over,” Corey said.

 

“Three months and counting.”

 

“Can we time warp to April?”

 

“Don’t I wish?” Scott glanced down, then stopped, taking Corey’s hands in his own gloved ones, shocking the hell out of Corey. “Where are your gloves?”

 

“At home? I figured we’d be in the car or inside so why would I need them.”

 

Shaking his head, Scott released one hand, telling Corey to put it in his pocket before his fingers froze. He kept a firm grip on the other.

 

Logically that didn’t make sense to Corey until he realized Scott’s glove was warm. “Hand warmers?” he asked.

 

Scott nodded. “I discovered them during an attempt to learn to ski. I gave up on that, but not the gloves. Now I never leave home without them in this kind of weather.”

 

Corey looked at him, head cocked. “I’d have thought you’d be an excellent skier.”

 

“You’d think so, but it requires a type of coordination I seem to be lacking.” Scott shrugged. “No real loss, though, in my book. The skiing… or the guy who wanted me to learn.”

 

“It’s funny how we sometimes do things because another person wants us to.”

 

“Or don’t do something because we’re afraid of how other people might react,” Scott replied softly but pointedly.

 

“Maybe, someday,” Corey said tightly. “My brother knows.”

 

“The cop?”

 

“Yes. I sort of let it slip… well, not slip, really…. Okay, yeah, it came out when I called him for help right after Brad’s murder.”

 

Scott squeezed his hand. “I think perhaps that’s what’s called a Freudian slip?”

 

“Maybe. Probably, on some level. On the other hand, it did have to do with why it was Brad and not some girlfriend who ended up dead.”

 

“Which he was presuming was the case at first?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Is he going to keep your secret?”

 

“Yes. He promised. Of course he wants me to tell the rest of the family. He says I might be surprised at how they take it.”

2 comments:

  1. I think he should tell. Then the worry is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He should, but he's got to get up the nerve to do it. After all, he's been hiding it from them forever.

      Delete