Sunday, February 6, 2022

You Belong to Me - 46

 

 

When Corey walked into Java Jolt, his glance immediately landed on Scott, who was sitting at a table a few yards away. Damn he’s good-looking. Too bad this isn’t for real.

 

He immediately pushed that to the back of his mind. It was real, but not the way he suddenly wished it was. Real dangerous, if the stalker decides to go after him—or me.

 

Going to the table, Corey stopped long enough to say, “I’m going to get coffee. I’ll be right back.”

 

Scott nodded, saying a bit snidely, “It’s good to see you again too.”

 

“Sorry. I’m just nervous,” Cory told him, playing the role he knew was expected of him at this point.

 

“No need to be. Go get your coffee, or java, considering where we are.” Scott grinned a bit. “I won’t run away.”

 

Corey did, came back, and sat down opposite him. “It’s been a long time. You look… good.”

 

For the next few minutes they continued the charade, seemingly easing into a bit of the camaraderie they supposedly had before they separated. As they talked, Corey realized Scott had picked the table because it gave him a good view of the shop and the people there.

 

Leaning forward, resting his arms on the table, Corey said quietly, “Do you see anyone who could be him?”

 

“I missed you too,” Scott replied just loud enough to be heard if anyone nearby was listening. “No,” he said sotto voce. “Well, no one who stands out anyway.”

 

Leaning back a bit, Corey nodded. “Just because we did, we do… umm….”

 

Scott chuckled. “I know. It doesn’t mean we’re going to try to start over again. Still, I was thinking, if you’re free Saturday night, maybe we could go out to dinner at The Corner, for old time’s sake.”

 

“Maybe,” Corey replied hesitantly.

 

“Please? I promise to behave.”

 

With a grin, Corey said, “A whole new you?”

 

“Well….” Scott’s lips quirked up. “Still, if you are free… I mean, if you’re not seeing someone now.”

 

“I’m not, so what the hell. Sure. What time?”

 

“Around eight? Or better yet, I’ll pick you up. Say at seven thirty?”

 

Corey nodded. “Okay.”

 

“It might help if I had your address.”

 

“No kidding.” Corey wrote it down on a napkin, giving it to him. “Now, I suppose we should call it a night? I do have to work in the morning.” Corey realized how inane that probably sounded as soon as he said it. After all, it was only seven-fifteen. Thankfully Scott agreed, replying that he did as well.

 

They walked to the door together, putting on their jackets as they went. When they were out on the sidewalk, Scott said softly, “I’ll call you in an hour, just to touch base as me, not Reed.”

 

Corey remained quiet, other than to say with barely moving lips, “I’ll go out into the hall to take it.” Then they went their separate ways.

1 comment: