Tuesday, February 8, 2022

You Belong to Me – 47

 

Almost as soon as he stepped into his apartment, Corey’s phone rang. He knew who it had to be without looking at the screen. Trying to keep his fear out of his voice, he answered. “Hello?”

 

“Whoever that man was,” the stalker whispered. “Stay away from him, or he’ll end up like the last man you went out with. You belong to me.”

 

“How the hell can I belong to you when you won’t show yourself?” Corey replied, anger overriding his fear.

 

“I will, when the time is right,” the stalker replied and hung up.

 

“When hell freezes over?” Corey muttered.

 

You’re liking this game way too much to end it. You like trying to make me afraid of my own shadow. Well, tell you what, bastard, for a while there I was, but no more. Now I have help, and by all that’s holy, we are going to stop you.

 

Corey went into the kitchen, made a sandwich, and then returned to the living room to eat it while watching some talent show. He’d set his phone on vibrate, figuring that way the stalker wouldn’t know when Scott called. At eight fifteen on the dot he felt it vibrate and hurried out to the hall before answering.

 

“He called,” Corey said the moment he knew it was Scott on the other end.

 

“And?”

 

“He threatened to kill you if we met again.”

 

“Good.”

 

“I sort of yelled at him,” Corey admitted, telling Scott what he’d said.

 

Scott chuckled. “Did he reply?”

 

“Yeah. He said I’d know who he was when the time was right.”

 

“Makes you wonder when he thinks that will be. And more to the point, why he thinks you’d actually want him in your life now. Although there’s always the possibility….” Scott paused.

 

“That I’m going to be his last victim. At least in his mind.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Not a happy thought.”

 

“That’s not going to happen, so don’t worry about it.”

 

“You sound pretty certain about that.”

 

“Corey, it’s what I do. Stopping insane killers. Well, among other things.”

 

2 comments: