Friday, February 4, 2022

You Belong to Me – 45

 

 

“Please call me as soon as you’re finished having coffee with Reed,” Kerry said.

 

“I will. I wish….” Corey sighed.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Nothing. I miss you all.”

 

Kerry chuckled. “Says the one family member who tries to avoid any contact with us except during the holidays.”

 

“I know. And you know why now.”

 

“Yeah, I do. I think you’re wrong—hiding it. Mom and Dad would understand. They might not like it, but they’re smart enough to know it’s not like you made a choice to be gay.”

 

“Still, they would preach Church doctrine at me.”

 

“Bet they wouldn’t.”

 

Corey shook his head. “Are you trying to dare me to tell them? Just to prove you’re right?”

 

“Now would I do that?”

 

“Maybe?”

 

“Well, this time it’s not a dare. I just think you have to trust that they love you no matter what.”

 

“I’ll… think about it.”

 

“Good. And you can tell them at Phil’s wedding.”

 

Corey snorted. “That would put a damper on the celebration.”

 

“Can you think of a better time? They’ll be so up because he’s getting married that your little revelation will be just that: little.”

 

“Uh-huh. As I said, I’ll think about it. Presuming I survive this whole stalker thing in one piece.”

 

“You will. Have faith in the police. They’ll keep you safe and catch the bastard in the process.” Kerry laughed then. “Quit crossing your fingers.”

 

“How did you know?”

 

“You’re my brother. I know you inside out. And that said, if you don’t mind, I’m going to bed. I have a long day ahead of me.”

 

“Go. And, Kerry, I love you.”

 

“I know. I love you too.”

2 comments: