Sunday, December 26, 2021

You Belong to Me – 25

 

 

Darin Foster watched Corey Byrne carefully. From the look on his face, he didn’t seem too surprised when he finally saw who the victim was. Shocked, but not surprised. “A friend of yours?”

 

“Yes,” Corey whispered. “We…we were supposed to meet up at a club tonight, but he never showed.” He gulped audibly. “I guess I know why, now.”

 

Darin nodded as he led Corey into the kitchen. When they were seated at the small table at one side of the room, he took out his notebook and a pen. “For the record, I need your full name.”

 

“Corey James Byrne.”

 

“Age?”

 

“Twenty-three.”

 

“Place of employment?”

 

“The Open Door Shelter.”

 

“You said you and Mr. Reynolds were going to a club. Which one?”

 

Corey glanced away as he replied, “The Scene.”

 

Darin resisted registering surprise. I wouldn’t have figured from looking at him. “It must have been busy, being a Saturday night. Did you see anyone you knew who could confirm you were there?”

 

Corey looked at him in shock. “Why would I have to? Oh. You can’t think I…I killed him? Why would I?”

 

Ignoring his question, Darin continued. “You told the officers that when you came home, you saw the door to the apartment was open. Why didn’t you check to see if everything was all right before calling us?”

 

“Someone broke in a couple of days ago. I thought it could be the same person and he might still be here.”

 

“Was anything taken the first time?”

 

“Yes. A rather expensive watch.”

 

“That’s it?”

 

Corey nodded. “It’s not like I have a lot that’s worth stealing.”

 

“Most thieves go after electronics and such. Things worth pawning.”

 

“Well, this one didn’t,” Corey replied, sounding defensive.

 

 

2 comments: