Monday, April 26, 2021

Don't Touch Me! - 42

 


For the next two weeks, Cody and Brent saw each other as much as possible, considering Brent's work schedule. They traded stories about their childhoods, talked about books they liked—and didn't like. And watched more television than any man should, according to Cody, who wasn't a big fan of the medium. "Probably because my mother was glued to it every second she was awake," was his explanation when Brent asked.

There was one advantage to being occasional couch potatoes. They cuddled, exchanging kisses during commercials. They did nothing more, however. Cody had the strong feeling Brent wasn't willing to push, afraid Cody might have an adverse reaction to more intimate exploration. Since Cody wasn't all that certain himself if it might happen, he was willing to leave things the way they were—for the time being.

Two Sunday's after their aborted foray to the restaurant for lunch, Cody suggested they try again, although maybe at a less popular place. "I'm getting more and more…relaxed, I suppose, around other people." He grinned. "I even went grocery shopping last night. Real shopping, not online. Okay, it was late, when I knew the store wouldn't be packed with people, but I did it and survived."

"And without me for backup. I'm not certain if I should be proud of you or hurt that you didn't need me," Brent replied with a wink. "I think pride wins though, hands down. So where do you want to go eat?"

"You know Nova's?"

"Yep. A bit far to walk to, however."

"Wuss. It's only three miles. We'll work up an appetite."

"The things I do for you," Brent grumbled. He was still muttering, although only in a teasing way, when they saw the restaurant two blocks ahead of them.

Cody had just told him, for the tenth time, to grow a pair, when he caught sight of a man turning the corner ahead of them. He sucked in a breath, turning swiftly to start back the way they'd come.

"What?" Brent asked, grabbing Cody's hand to stop him.

Cody was shaking so hard he could barely get out, "The man in the blue shirt…"

"I see him," Brent said, looking back momentarily.

"He was… He's one of the men…"

Brent tightened his grip, pulling Cody close. "Who beat you up?"

Cody could only nod as the terror he'd felt when it happened returned.

"Stay here," Brent ordered, leading Cody to the doorway of a closed repair shop. "I'm going to have a few words with him."

"You can't."

Apparently Brent disagreed. He strode determinedly forward, catching the man just as he was about to enter a bar across the street from the restaurant. Cody couldn't hear what was being said, but from the look on the man's face when Brent grabbed his shoulder and pointed to Cody was enough. The man scowled, shaking his head. Brent said something that the man obviously protested, then, without releasing his hold on the man, Brent walked him back to where Cody was standing.

 

5 comments:

  1. Oh fuck me sideways. I can’t wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd wondered if dear old Dad's bully bubbies were still in town--I thought maybe one of them was the serial killer.
    He and his buddies are cowards...beating a teen who'd never done anything to them. Jerks! Hope Cody rips him a new one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the feeling either he will, or Brent will as protective as he is of Cody.

      Delete
  3. I had to go back. I missed this one. Newb ay in the family came early.

    ReplyDelete