Friday, April 2, 2021

Don't Touch Me! - 30


"Do you remember how long he was in here?" Brent tapped Cody's photo.

"Hmm. Maybe an hour? He was drinking real slow. Finally got up and left."

"He only had one beer?"

"Yep. Far as I remember."

"What about the two men you mentioned?"

"Don't remember how many they had."

Brent chuckled. "No. I mean, when did they leave?"

Norm closed his eyes. "I think one of them left right after the kid. But don't quote me on that."

"I won't," Brent replied, smiling.

Norm looked over as the door to the bar opened. "Hang on a sec." He got up, going over to greet the newcomer. They talked for a moment, then Norm brought the man over, introducing him as Red, "Because of his hair."

Red looked at Cody's photo and nodded. "I recall him. I took off the same time he did. Had to get home before the wife decided to kill me."

"Did you see which way he went?"

"Yeah. Headed right, then went into the cut-through between the dress shop and the restaurant down the street. I figured he probably lived that direction and was taking a shortcut."

"Do you remember the man who left the same time the two of you did?"

"Yep. He followed the kid. Well, not sure he was following him, but when the kid turned into the cut-through, the guy was right there a second later, watching. More than that I can't say 'cause I went the other direction."

"Okay. Thanks for talking to me. Would you like a beer?" When Red grinned and nodded, Brent bought him one. "What did this man look like? Is he a regular?"

"Sorta tall, burly, dirty blond hair," Norm replied. "I've seen him in here a couple of times but not recently."

Brent made note of the description, despite the fact it was so vague it could fit dozens of men. Then he finished his beer, thanked the men again, and took off.

2 comments:

  1. Oh shit a brick I hate when people think they have a say and who someone can be!

    ReplyDelete