Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Don't Touch Me! - 36

 


It was almost ten Sunday morning and Brent was about head over to Cody's house when his phone rang. It was Walt, who announced after identifying himself, "We know where Findley is."

"Great. You're on your way to arrest him, I hope."

"Well I'm not, since he's halfway across the country. Having killed five people at this point, all but the last in the same manner, he's officially listed as a serial killer and the FBI has been brought in. They should have him in custody by the end of the day, according to the agent I spoke with. After that, it's in their hands."

"He may regret the day he decided killing his wife was a better option than just divorcing her."

"No kidding."

They chatted for a few moments before hanging up. Feeling elated by Walt's news, Brent called Cody to let him know he was on his way, and took off.

"You look almost human today," Brent said, grinning, when Cody opened the door. "You must have slept well."

"I did, thanks to you."

Brent lifted one eyebrow in amusement. "I wasn't here to tuck you in, so I don't think I can take any credit."

"You know what I mean." Cody held out his hand. "I have coffee made, if you'd like some."

Brent gripped Cody's hand, keeping a careful eye on the younger man to make certain he didn't show any signs of panic.

Cody didn't. Instead he smiled happily, tugging Brent toward the kitchen. "Coffee, and if you want, breakfast—or brunch, I guess." He paused, looking squarely at Brent. "I'm, if not cured, at least on my way. I guess the next test will be my meeting other people and letting them touch me."

Brent laughed. "You're going to walk into a store or restaurant and holler, 'Touch me'? I think you'd be arrested for solicitation or something."

Rolling his eyes, Cody replied, "I won't be that obvious. I'm not crazy." He sobered suddenly. "At least not anymore."

"Cody, you never were. You had a problem you had no control over until last night. Now you do. But don't rush into things, if you get what I'm saying. Baby steps, my man. Baby steps."

"What about… Have you had breakfast?"

"Yep."

"Oh." Cody looked crestfallen. "I was thinking…"

"That's always a good thing. If you meant we could go out to eat, why not do lunch?"

"That works." Cody poured them both coffees. "Do you think I'm ready?"

Leaning against the counter, Brent took a drink before replying seriously, "I can't tell you if you are or not. You're the only one who knows. But, I'll be there with you to give you moral support."

"That's all I need. Someone who believes in me."

"I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one who does."

Cody shrugged. "I've pretty much lost track of any friends I had."

"Then maybe it's time to reconnect?"

"Maybe. We'll see."

 

6 comments:

  1. Not sure he could handle a bunch of people but maybe people he knows. The neighbor and the pharmacist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two would be good people to start with for sure.

      Delete
  2. Glad Cody is feeling more in control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is definitely beginning to believe he can be.

      Delete
  3. Cody is making progress but I am betting there will be steps back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you might win that bet one way or another.

      Delete