Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Don't Touch Me! - 39

 


"When was the last time you were out in public?" Brent asked Cody. "Other than to get your mother's meds."

They were standing to one side of the hostess counter at the restaurant, waiting for their names to be called. Brent had positioned himself so he was between Cody and the other people close by.

"A year ago, at the grocery store," Cody told him. He looked around anxiously, pressing closer to the wall behind him. At the same time, he said, "You don't have to protect me."

"I'm not. There's no room beside you," Brent retorted with a smile.

"Uh-huh." Without thinking, Cody slid to one side, bumping into a man who seemed to appear out of nowhere. The man put out his hand to stop Cody, touching his arm in the process. Cody suddenly felt breathless, his pulse racing. He pushed off the wall, trying not to run as he headed for the restaurant door.

Brent was right behind him and the moment they got to the sidewalk he said, "Cody, stop. Breathe."

Cody bent over, his hand on his knees, trying desperately to regain his composure. "I guess…" he managed to get out.

"You're not quite ready for a public appearance," Brent said. "Come on. Let's walk it off."

Cody gulped in some air, straightened, and said dolefully, "I thought I'd be okay. I mean… Mrs. Grainger…"

"She's a friend, someone you know fairly well. You trust her." Putting his arm around Cody's waist, Brent told him softly, "It's going to take time for it to happen with strangers. Until then—"

"Baby steps, like you said. No diving right in anymore."

"I'm afraid so. You will beat it, just not in two days. So, since we're not eating lunch in a restaurant, how about I pick us up something from"—Brent looked around—"there, and we go to the park?"

"Can I have a kiddies' meal?" Cody asked, trying to smile.

Brent laughed. "If that's what you want, that's what you get. Come on. You can wait outside."

Brent actually got both of them burgers, fries and sodas. The park was busy when they got there but they managed to find an empty bench well away from the general hubbub. While they ate, Brent told Cody the story of how he'd become a PI.

"So that's why you and Walt are friends," Cody said when Brent finished. "Do you ever wish you'd chosen to be a cop instead?"

"Not once. I like being my own boss." Brent smiled wryly. "Well, as much as I can be, considering I have to cater to my clients if I want to stay in business. At least I have the option of saying no when someone wants to hire me."

"Did you think about turning me away when I first came to your office?"

Brent shook his head. "I was intrigued by the whole thing, and you weren't being pushy about my having to take your case. Besides which, how many times will I get to help a famous author like you who's in trouble?"

"Probably never, because I'm not that famous."

Brent snorted. "Don't kid yourself. You are. Maybe not like King or Koontz or Straub, but you're up there."

Cody beamed and blushed at the same time, earning him a soft laugh and a hug from Brent. Cody leaned into it, savoring their closeness. It had been too long since he'd been able to feel… Safe? Cared for? He turned his head to study Brent. Do I like him because he's helping me, or is there more to it than that? We seem to connect, but is it just my imagination?

4 comments:

  1. HE will do better next time. I hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pushing himself. I am so happy that he is looking at Brent with different eyes.

    ReplyDelete