Wednesday, December 11, 2019

One Plus Two Equals... - 41


Julyan soon discovered there were two over-sized bedrooms in the condo, as well as an open chef's kitchen filled with top of the line appliances. "How the hell do we justify living like kings?"
"Because this time around Duane's a VP at an investment firm."
"He knows investments?" Julyan looked stunned at the idea.
"He knows quite a bit about a lot of things, all of them business-related in one way or another."
"So what am I supposed to be in this whole…whatever?"
Auden grinned. "You're the houseboy."
"Excuse me? I'm just a servant? Even a waiter has higher status than that."
"Calm down. It gives you a legit reason to be here most of the time and still have the hotel room when needed."
Julyan thought about it and then nodded slowly. "As long as you don't expect me act like a servant when no one else is around. Will there be other people around?"
"On occasion. As a VP, Duane will be expected to do some entertaining."
Now Julyan frowned. "Is it illogical to think some of the people he'd invite here are ones the agency is interested in, not humans?"
"It's possible. It's happened before."
"They'd be the good ones, right?"
Auden nodded. "Mostly."
"Mostly? Now there's a cheery thought."
"Sometimes he has to find out if a specific one is friend or foe. It's part of what he does. If he discovers they're an enemy then I get to handle the problem."
"That makes sense. So…" Julyan looked around, "where are the servant quarters?"
Auden grinned. "Follow me." He walked into the hall between the living room and the kitchen, turning left.
"Unless there's a hidden room…"
"There isn't. You get the smaller bedroom, the one with fewer windows and just a king-sized bed."
"I think I could get to like this houseboy gig."
"I suspect the perks will make it tolerable."
Julyan dropped his backpack on one of the chairs before returning to stand in front of Auden with a grin on his face. "Are you one of the perks?"
"I'd hope you think so, but not right now. I have to do my vanishing act so Duane can take care of something." When Julyan's grin widened Auden put his hands on his shoulders, turning him around. "The 'something' is not you, so unpack."
"Well damn," Julyan muttered although truth be told at the moment he was more tired than anything else. It had been a long day.

4 comments:

  1. Why did I get a knot in my stomach when I read that Duane will be expected to entertain? I’m going a mile a minute in my head. It’s scary so a talking snow man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because Duane's entertaining could bring up problems for Auden to deal with?

      Delete
  2. This could get real complicated... wow.. nice twist.

    ReplyDelete