Thursday, December 5, 2019

One Plus Two Equals... - 38


The day had been tense. Duane had introduced his employees to the new owner of the restaurant, a man who seemed both enthusiastic and knowledgeable—but then that was to be expected. Duane's superior was an expert at choosing the right person to take over a business that Duane had been running. The whole situation was made even worse by the fact Julyan seemed to be avoiding him except when necessary.
Now Duane was pacing the condo living room while Julyan watched. "I know Auden already told you why you're not coming with us."
"Oh yeah, he made it very clear I would be nothing but a liability." Julyan glared at Duane. "Why did you let him tell me instead of doing it yourself?"
"For one, because Auden was the one the boss told and secondly, because he wasn't about to let me. I suspect he felt you'd take it better coming from him."
Julyan continued to glower. "He was afraid I'd wheedle you around to letting me come along."
"It's not a decision any of us have a choice in, Juls."
"Why the hell not! And if you knew this would happen, why the hell did you let me think…?" He scrubbed a hand through his hair angrily. "Doesn't anyone give a damn that I love you?"
"That's the problem," Duane replied softly as he came over to him. "A lot of people would give a damn. Unfortunately, they'd be ones who would use it against us if they could. Auden told you that."
"There has to be a way."
"Don't you think I wish there was?" Duane knelt in front of him, resting his hands on his knees. "I will not put you at risk, and neither will Auden."
"Do the…creatures Auden goes after know what he is or just that he takes them out when necessary?"
"Most don't. They think he's only an enforcer for the agency."
"So what's the problem then? We go wherever you're headed, you… What do you do, set up another restaurant? You hire me afterward and I'm just another waiter as far as anyone knows."
"Juls, I said most don't know but there are a very few who do. How would you have me defend you against them if they saw you there?"
"Oh." Julyan chewed his lip. "What if I changed how I look? Dyed my hair, wore glasses, maybe grow a mustache or something. Then they'd think I was just a nobody."
Duane got up and began pacing again; glancing at Julyan several times with a thoughtful look on his face. Finally he smiled. "It could work," then laughed when Julyan pumped a fist in the air. "It's not only my decision," he cautioned.
"You have to ask your boss?"
"If Auden ever heard you call him that…"
Julyan snorted. "I bet he just did, although I wasn't talking about him. So what happens if he doesn't agree?"
"You'll point out to him that it's two against one."
"Why me? Oh, yeah, guess you're right." He tapped his fingers on his thigh as if waiting for Duane to shift.
Duane laughed. "Not happening, Juls, not yet. I want my time with you."
"You're reading my mind?"
"I hope that wasn't a question."
"Well, it was." Julyan grinned. "On the other hand. Hey! Damn, you're crazy."
Duane didn't bother to reply as he tossed Julyan over his shoulder and carried him into the bedroom.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe they have got something. I would think the agency would want to keep Duane and Auden happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well at least they are brainstorming... they come up with a plan i hope... such complications!

    ReplyDelete