Monday, April 8, 2024

Never Again – 4

 


Much later that evening the two men were seated at a restaurant table, sharing a bottle of wine while they waited for their meal to arrive. Elizabeth had begged off joining them, saying she was too exhausted to be good company.

"To the independent republic of Virginia," Rawleigh toasted, raising his glass.

"You're quite excited about this," Joseph commented with a smile, tapping his glass to Rawleigh's.

"Admit it, there's something wonderful about being in the center of things when history is being made. Isn't that why you decided to own a newspaper, so you could report on everything?"

Joseph nodded, enjoying the younger man's enthusiasm. "I'll admit it was the primary reason, closely followed by the idea that the common people had a right to know more than the falsehoods put out by those in 'authority'."

"And that, Joseph, is one of the reasons I wanted to work for you."

"What were the others?"

"I told you there were when you were considering hiring me. Being here where I could see the war unfolding from both sides. I want to follow the armies, especially the southern ones." Rawleigh took another deep drink of his wine. "This is going to be long and bloody, and right now it's anyone's guess who will win in the end."

"Being prophetic, Rawleigh?"

He shrugged. "Perhaps a little." He leaned back then so the waiter could set his first course down. "It will be interesting to see if I'm right," he concluded moments later before taking a taste of the soup. "This is quite good."

"Which is why I suggested we come here," Joseph replied with a smile. "I think you'll enjoy your boiled trout with parsley sauce as well."

Rawleigh cocked an eyebrow. "Then why did you order the roast loin of mutton?"

"It's also quite good. I'll let you taste it when it arrives."

"Dare I say—" Rawleigh paused, shaking his head as he took another spoonful of his soup.

"Yes?"

"Nothing. I was going to be quite impolite and improper but thought better of it."

Joseph laughed, fingering his beard. "Come, do tell me what was going through your mind just then."

Rawleigh chewed the corner of his lip. "Have you heard of a book, 'The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling'? I'm not certain you would have actually. My father had a copy a friend brought him from England. Anyway, there is a scene where the hero seduces a woman with food and…"

"And my offering to let you taste my mutton brought that to mind?"

"I did tell you my thoughts were improper," Rawleigh replied, lowering he gaze.

"I suppose," Joseph said quietly, "that would depend on who was seducing who and if both parties were interested."

"Yes, I suppose it would." Rawleigh looked up, staring thoughtfully at Joseph.

Joseph stared back, and winked. "Perhaps a discussion for after dinner, the main course of which is about to arrive."

"And I haven't even finished my soup," Rawleigh told him, his eyes gleaming mischievously. But obvious relief that the subject had been dropped looked as if it warred on his face with a touch of almost predatory interest.

And I'm the predator here—or at least I'm supposed to be, Joseph thought in amusement. It will be interesting to find out if he truly was doing more than playing word games.

* * * *

It was verging on midnight when Joseph and Rawleigh finished their meal and exited the restaurant. They had refrained from any more talk of seduction, although the thought had been at the top of Joseph's mind since Rawleigh had first mentioned it.

And before that, truth be told, as much as it goes against rhyme or reason, Joseph admitted to himself. I can't allow myself to be lured by a pair of bright blue eyes and an exceptional body just because it's been too long since I've had a man in my bed. Humans tend to take sex way too seriously, believing it could lead to more. And since we work together… He shook his head.

"Dust in your hair?" Rawleigh asked. "Or a bad thought you're trying to dispel?"

"Given that it seems to have rained while we were at dinner, there is no dust."

"Then a thought which upset you."

Joseph was about to say 'yes' then changed his mind. "I was just chastising myself for not getting a full list of names of those men who voted against secession. We only printed those voting for it."

"You didn't read the story I wrote, did you? They're all listed, and I even refrained from any scathing comments about the anti-secessionists. I figured that should be left to you, as the man who writes the editorials."

"Which, damn it, I have yet to do," Joseph growled.

"Then we should go back to the office so you can."

"We?" Joseph's eyebrows shot up.

"Sorry. You should, while I go back to the boarding house."

"You don't exactly sound excited about that idea."

Rawleigh stopped walking, saying, "Honestly, I'm not. I've been having a grand time with you and I hate for it to end just yet."

Forced to come to a stop unless he wanted to be very impolite, Joseph replied, "As have I."

"And yet you're willing for it to end now?"

Joseph smiled ruefully. "I think it would be for the best if it did."

"As you wish." Rawleigh began walking again, faster than before, as if trying to distance himself from Joseph.

Joseph sighed and let him go, heading back to the newspaper offices.

No comments:

Post a Comment