Friday, February 16, 2024

62 – This Gift, This Curse

 


Mick took a deep breath. "I have something I need to tell you. Something I promised Will I wouldn't. But right now I think… no, I know I have to break that promise. Remember…? Never mind, of course you don't. The day after Archer attacked you the first time, there was a story about it in the newspaper. When I showed it to Will, I thought he was going to have a heart attack."

 

"Why?" Kevin asked, feeling genuinely puzzled.

 

"He saw your name and"—Mick took a deep breath—"Kev, you're his son."

 

Kevin shook his head in disbelief. "No way!"

 

"Yeah, you are. At least that's what he said."

 

"Uh-uh. If I was, Mom would have told me."

 

"Even if he asked her not to?"

 

"Yeah, she still would have. Damn it, Mick. He's…" Kevin shook his head again, trying to take in what Mick was telling him. "My father's dead."

 

Mick took Kevin's hands in his. "Is he? Remember what you told me, that you'd tried to find out if he was and there was nothing even though he supposedly was killed in the line of duty."

 

"Yeah, but…" Kevin pulled one hand free, rubbing his eyes with it. "If he is alive… I mean, if what he told you is true and he's my father, then why didn't he get in contact with Mom? With me? Why didn't she find him and let him know? She's a cop too. She could have done that."

 

"I could probably tell you why, but it's not my story to tell."

 

"If what he said is true, then I can see him," Kevin said, jumping to his feet.

 

"You'd have to prove it. Especially since you've already told that nurse you weren't family."

 

"How the hell do I do that?"

 

"You can't, but your mom can."

 

"I can't wait that long. What if he dies? What if… if there's something wrong with his mind and he doesn't… he doesn't remember that I am his son?"

 

Mick grabbed his hand, urging him to sit again. Reluctantly, Kevin did. When Mick wrapped his arm around him, he sank into the caring embrace, resting his head on Mick's shoulder.

 

"He has to live. More now than ever, he just has to."



No comments:

Post a Comment