Wednesday, February 14, 2024

61 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

The minute they got back to the apartment building, Kevin was on the phone, calling his mother. He knew she'd want to know what happened. As soon as he began to tell her, she said the police had found her name in Will's wallet and had already called her, and she was about to leave for the airport. "As soon as I arrive, I'll call you and then I'll take a cab to the hospital." She paused before adding, "He's going to be all right, Kev."

 

"You don't know that," he replied angrily.

 

"I do. He's hard-headed, in all ways. He'll survive. I promise."

 

"God I hope you're right," he whispered.

 

As soon as he was finished talking with her, he changed clothes and joined the others in Will's apartment. Then they took off for the hospital.

 

When they entered the ER waiting room, they went straight to the desk. Kevin asked if they could see Will, telling the nurse he'd been brought in with a head injury.

 

"Will who?" she replied.

 

Kevin frowned, turning to the others. "I don't even know his last name."

 

"Reynolds," Mick told him. "William Reynolds."

 

Kevin relayed the information to the nurse. Her next question was, "And you are?"

 

"Kevin Parker."

 

"Family?"

 

"No, ma'am."

 

"Then I'm sorry but I can't release any information on him."

 

"But…"

 

She just shook her head. "Family only."

 

"Can you at least tell me if he's alive," he asked.

 

She must have seen something in his face or heard the desperation in his words because she left for a moment then came back to tell him that, so far, Will was alive, and he'd been transferred to the ICU.

 

"It's not fair," Kevin growled, as he and the others headed to the exit. "He could die because of me and I can't even… they won't even let me in to… to tell him I'm sorry."

 

As soon as they were outside, Mick gripped Kevin's arm, leading him to one of the benches along the wall. Then he asked Sue and Charlie if they would mind waiting for them in the car. After a moment's hesitation, they nodded and walked away.

 

"What's going on?" Kevin asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment