Friday, February 2, 2024

55 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

"Did you get a license plate number?" Will asked Mick.

 

"Just one letter, an 'A'. He was moving too fast. But his car's sort of distinctive, a red Mustang, probably this year's. Double white stripes over the top and down the hood."

 

"A Shelby GT," Charlie put in, obviously listening to Mick's end of the conversation.

 

"I heard him." There was a long silence, as if Will was thinking, before he said, "This could work in our favor but I want you to get Kevin back here now. He's not to come back by himself."

 

"As if I'd let him. That's why I'm here, in case you forgot."

 

There was a low chuckle then Will said, "I haven't. But be doubly careful, and make certain Charlie knows he's to stay with Sue."

 

"I will. Anything else?"

 

"Not for now."

 

After hanging up, Mick relayed Will's message to Charlie.

 

"No way is she getting out of my sight," Charlie said emphatically. "In fact, she's going to be staying at my place. There's three of us there so she should be safe enough."

 

"Good. You okay with that, Sue?" When she nodded, Mick turned to Kevin. "We're supposed to head back, so grab your coffee and your pack and let's get moving."

 

Kevin did, after saying goodbye to his friends. When he and Mick got outside he commented, "You do that very well."

 

"What?"

 

"Giving orders. I'd almost believe you were a cop—or one in training, if I didn't know better now."

 

Mick chuckled. "Guess I've been hanging around Will too long." He wanted to take Kevin's hand, and almost did until he realized that just because Archer had taken off like a bat out of hell didn't mean he hadn't come back and was watching them. Holding hands would sort of blow the Kevin-Sue pseudo-relationship out of the water.

 

As they walked back to the apartment building, Mick kept an eye open for Archer. He had the feeling Kevin was too, from the way he kept glancing around.

 

"I feel creepy," Kevin said at one point. "Like I'm in the crosshairs of a gun."

 

"Damn, let's hope not."

 

"I know. I don't think he'd go that far, would he?"

 

"Not…really," Mick replied slowly. But he stepped up his pace and together they rapidly walked the rest of the way back, sighing in relief when they were safely inside the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment