Sunday, February 4, 2024

56 – This Gift, This Curse

 

"I don't suppose you've had another one of your visions, so we know what to look out for, have you?" Mick asked Will a few minutes later.

 

"I'm afraid not." Will smiled wryly. "It's not like I can call them up at will, unfortunately."

 

"Figured as much."

 

"So now what?" Kevin asked after dropping his pack by the door and going to sit at one end of the sofa.

 

"You study," Will said quite seriously.

 

"We study," Kevin replied, looking at Mick.

 

"That's just our cover," Will pointed out.

 

Mick bit the corner of his lip and shook his head. "I… umm… sort of told him I'm not a police trainee." Hurriedly he added, as if he was afraid Will would start yelling, "I told him how you found me and sort of started looking out for me when you weren't working undercover."

 

"Ah, I see." Will felt somewhat relieved Mick had at least not told him the real story of why they were together. "And what prompted this?"

 

"I thought he had a right to know, since we're maybe starting to get to be more than friends and… well… you know."

 

"I suppose that's understandable." Will smiled a bit maliciously. "In that case, get on your laptop and get to work. I expect you to be ready to take the GED test as soon as this is over and done with."

 

"Will," Mick whined.

 

"I'll help you," Kevin told him. "So get your stuff and let's see what's what."

 

"Damn, I'm outnumbered," Mick muttered, as he got his laptop off the desk and sat down beside Kevin.

 

Will sat in the armchair across from them, smiling a bit as he watched their two dark-haired heads bent together while they worked. Then he picked up the book he'd been reading, and found he couldn't concentrate.

 

If things had been different… If I'd done what I should have when I finally sobered up… Gone back. Tried to make amends for running out on Mira—on both of them. But I didn't know. "And whose fault was that?" he muttered.

 

"Whose fault was what?" Mick asked, obviously having heard him.

 

"Sorry," Will replied, "I was talking to a character in the story."

 

Mick shook his head and went back to what he'd been doing, asking Kevin something about a math problem.

 

He's a good kid and looks just like Mira. Which is a good thing, all things considered. Will smiled wryly. It would be hard to explain why he took after a 'family friend'. I wonder what she told him about me? Am I supposed to be dead? Probably. That's easier to explain, and to accept, than 'your father ran out on us'.

 

He picked up the book again and tried to concentrate on it. Then he thought about Mick's question from earlier.

 

Will I have a vision about what's going to happen? Or does the fact that I don't mean things will end without any violence? God I hope so! Let us catch Archer before he gets another chance to hurt someone.

 

Scrubbing his hand over his eyes, he once again tried to get into what he was reading. And this time he succeeded.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment