Thursday, November 3, 2022

Everyone's Man – 5


Marc was more than glad to be back at work again. What had started out well last night had turned into another pissing match as Bill made it known more than once that he didn't appreciate Marc's taking his attention off of him even long enough to order drinks from the sexy waiter.

 

"Why do I put myself through this?" he muttered as he checked the board to see where he was needed.

 

"Because you're a dedicated doctor," a voice said beside him.

 

He turned and smiled. "I wish that's what I was complaining about, Tabby. It's the other half of my life that's fucked up. Excuse my English."

 

She laughed. "Considering who I'm married to, that was mild. I still have to take him to task sometimes around the twins."

 

"You're a lucky woman. I envy you." Marc turned back to the board.

 

"You feel like talking?"

 

Marc shrugged. "What's to talk about? I made my bed; I guess I have to lie in it." With a sigh he added, "I'm afraid of what he'd do if I told him I wanted out."

 

"Bill doesn't strike me as the stalker type," Tabby said, putting a hand on his arm to regain his full attention. "I've met one of those. Bill's not that crazy."

 

"No, he wouldn't stalk. That would give him a bad reputation and God forbid that happens. But he might try to hurt himself to make me stay."

 

"Do you really think he'd pull that?"

 

"He's threatened to." Marc ran a hand through his hair. "I just don't know."

 

"Marc, he's blackmailing you in the most despicable way imaginable. If it were me, I'd point out that you haven't left him yet, so he'd better man up and get over his jealousy before he drives you away."

 

Marc snorted. "Man up?"

 

"Isn't that right? That's what Harl tells Mark when Bonnie starts picking on him. Who knew at three they'd already be into that routine?"

 

The sound of an ambulance pulling up, siren blaring, effectively ended the conversation. Marc gave Tabby a quick hug, thanking her for listening, before racing to see what had happened to whom.

 

 

3 comments: