Friday, June 24, 2022

You Do What You Have To - 22

 


 

"Would it be important enough for him to come after me to get it?"

 

"Possible, I suppose, but I doubt it." Robin examined each credit card then the license. Finally he returned his attention to the library card, running his thumbnail around the edge. "Got you," he exclaimed, carefully separating one edge to pull out a slip of paper. "Good hiding place for something this small."

 

"What is it?" Micky asked.

 

"A list of names."

 

"For?"

 

"This is just a guess, but I'd say they're people Mackenzie does business with. Probably ones he'd rather no one knew he knows, since he's supposed to be an upstanding businessman. For sure that's the case with two I recognize."

 

"And somehow Darren got the list."

 

"Yeah. There's one name checked off. I wonder if that's why Darren was at the bar the night you met him. When I was watching him, he kept scanning the customers. I guess he gave up and"—Robin grinned—"as a result, you got lucky."

 

"Lucky my ass," Micky muttered. "Why were you there anyway?"

 

"I'm friends with one of the bartenders and stopped by to say hello. I saw Darren and decided to stick around to see what he was up to."

 

"I wish…"

 

"Umm?"

 

Micky shook his head. "Nothing."

 

"Come on, spit it out."

 

"Since you were there, I wish you'd picked me up, not him. Then I wouldn't be in all this trouble."

 

Robin smiled, patting Micky's leg. "It might have been fun if we'd hooked up. Still, despite everything that's happened since, you going home with him netted us this in the end." He tapped the slip of paper.

 

"These aren't people you know about?"

 

"As I said, I recognize two of the names, but I haven't been around long enough to rate Mackenzie trusting me with info about his dealings with them or any of his other contacts. Getting close though, since I'm his favorite…toy…at the moment. But I haven't gotten there yet."

 

"Why would you? I mean, why would he tell you anything? He sounds like the kind of man who would only see you as a sex object and nothing more."

 

"Mackenzie likes to brag while he's…playing."

 

"Playing? That doesn't sound good."

 

Robin grimaced. "He's kinky."

 

"Like BDSM kinky?" Micky considered the good-looking man sitting across from him on the sofa and shuddered.

 

"Yeah," Robin replied, turning away from Micky's gaze.

 

"And you let him…?"

 

"Like I said earlier, I do what's necessary to get the information I need to shut down bastards like him."

 

"How did you…? Okay, none of my business."

 

2 comments: