Tuesday, June 14, 2022

You Do What You Have To - 17



 

"How did you find me?" Micky asked Robin.

 

"I was eavesdropping when Mackenzie gave the order to watch your place. So I followed Harley."

 

"Who the hell is Harley?"

 

"Mackenzie's hatchet man. He runs the enforcement part of the organization."

 

Micky nodded. Leaning back, he gazed at the altar for a long while, trying to assimilate everything Robin had told him. "Okay," he finally said, turning his attention back to Robin. "I can see why this Mackenzie wants me found. He thinks I can finger whoever shot Darren. But why do Darren's people want me?"

 

"Actually, Mackenzie wants you for another reason. He thinks you have Darren's wallet."

 

"I do. But what difference does that make? All it has in it is his ID. Well, Gary Freeman's ID, and a lot of money." He smiled slightly. "Okay, there was a lot but I've spent most of it."

 

Robin asked, looking very serious, "Do you trust me enough to let me look at the wallet?"

 

Now there's a question I'm not sure I can answer. Micky drummed his fingers on the back of the pew in front of them. He did get me away from the people who are looking for me. That's in the plus column. But how do I know he's not as bad as they are? How do I know Darren's as awful as Robin says he is? Maybe this is all a ploy to get me to give him the wallet and then he'll take me somewhere and get rid of me, just like he implied the other guys were going to do.

 

"I take it you don't trust me," Robin said, "At least right now. That's okay and totally understandable. You don't know me from Adam and all you have is my word that I'm not with one side or the other in this fight."

 

Micky nodded, smiling dryly. "That's exactly how I feel."

 

"All right. I won't ask again. If and when you think you can trust me, give me the wallet. Until then, I'll do my best to keep you out of their hands."

 

"Where?"

 

"Probably at a safe house."

 

"Will you tell me—if I ask—who you work for?"

 

"A private group dedicated to eradicating crime." Robin chuckled. "Sounds sort of highfalutin, doesn't it?"

 

"More like something from a TV show—The Avengers or some such."

 

Robin grinned. "That would be us." He sobered then, saying, "Wait here while I see if the coast is clear yet."

 

"While you're looking on one side, they could be on the other," Micky pointed out.

 

"Ah, but I have a secret weapon. I'm going to check from the steeple."

 

Micky got up when Robin did. "I'm coming with you."

 

"Don't trust me not to split or let someone know you're down here all alone?"

 

"No. I just want to be with the one person I believe wants to keep me alive. I mean, you do or I'd be dead by now. You've had the chance."

 

"Nice to see you're thinking logically. Okay, follow me."

 

Micky did, and a few minutes later they were standing in the small room at the top of the steeple.

 

4 comments:

  1. I get a bad feeling about Robin. I mean, come on, "a private group dedicated to eradicating crime"? What a load of cow cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you the suspicious one. Of course, with all Micky has gone though that's not surprising. He should be, as well.

      Delete
  2. I am not sure about Robin either. It is too fortuitous.

    ReplyDelete