Thursday, June 16, 2022

You Do What You Have To - 18

 


 

"You know this church pretty well," Micky commented, as he inched forward to peer through one of the arched openings.

 

"I used to explore it when I was a kid. It beat sitting there listening to a dry sermon."

 

"Like any kid," Micky replied, looking down at the vista below him. There were a few people that he could see on the sidewalks, and cars driving by, but none of them looked like they were searching for something—namely him.

 

Robin must have agreed because, after checking from all sides, he said, "I think we're in the clear."

 

They went back down then Robin led the way along a hallway through a classroom area, ending at the rear of the church. Once they were outside, after Robin checked to be certain no one was watching, they walked casually to the street and away from the church. By now it was dusk, the sun going down behind the mountains to the west.

 

Micky wasn't sure if that was good or bad. It could be good, because it made them less visible under the trees that bordered the sidewalk. But, if everything Robin had done was just a ploy to gain Micky's trust, one of Robin's cohorts could pull up at any second, they could shove Micky into the car, and no one would be any the wiser.

 

"I have to stop thinking I'm in some gangster movie," Micky muttered under his breath.

 

Obviously Robin heard him anyway because he chuckled. "Nope, not a movie. Real life. That means the good guys don't always win, although we're sure going to try."

 

Micky looked askance at Robin. "I hope they do."

 

"Still not sure you can totally trust me?"

 

"Well…" Micky paused thoughtfully before almost smiling. "I'm still here. You haven't done anything but try to help me. You've had plenty of chances to take me off somewhere and do…whatever. So, yeah, maybe not totally, but a lot more than I did when we met."

 

"Enough to let me take you to a safe place to hide out?"

 

"The safe house?"

 

Robin nodded, but something in his expression said that wasn't what he meant. Micky decided not to ask until they were on their way. He was still afraid some of the men who were looking for him might be around somewhere. The sooner they got to Robin's car, the better. That is, if he had a car. So Micky asked.

 

"Sure do," Robin replied. "It's parked a couple of blocks from your place."

 

Micky hissed in a breath. "We have to go back there?"

 

"Not to worry, I'm not going to lead you to them. If you want to go back to the church to wait while I get it…"

 

"No, no. I think I'm safer with you."

 

"Thanks," Robin said, smiling.

 

It took longer than it might normally have to walk the six blocks to Robin's car because, despite the fact it was almost dark now, Robin insisted on using alleys and backtracking occasionally to be certain no one was following them. As soon as they reached the car, Micky got in and slumped down, trying to be as invisible as possible. Robin chuckled, patting Micky's leg.

 

"Being stupid, aren't I?" Micky said, even though he didn't sit up straight.

 

"No stupid. Just careful—and smart."

 

2 comments: