Monday, January 31, 2022

You Belong to Me – 43

 

 

Wednesday at work was another normal day, with the exception of Scott’s presence. Scott was dressed differently than he had been the day before, and Corey was certain his hair was a wig, since it was now scraggly and black. But it was definitely Scott under the dirt and grime on his hands and face.

 

That evening after arriving home and changing clothes, Corey checked the refrigerator to see what he could fix for supper. He’d just taken out some hamburger when his phone rang. The instant it did, every nerve tightened in panic. Reluctantly he took it out, checking to see who it was, more than half expecting to see Payphone. He almost sighed with relief when the name Reed Scott appeared on the screen.

 

“Reed?” he said when he answered, putting the disbelief he was supposed to be feeling into the question. “Why are you…?”

 

He listened for a moment before replying, “You’re in town? … Why? … Okay, this is a surprise. I mean I’m glad, I guess.” He chuckled softly. “Yeah, I honestly never thought I’d hear from you again.”

 

I hope I’m answering the right way, if the stalker is listening… or recording… or something.

 

As if he’d read his mind, and since the stalker couldn’t hear his end of the conversation, Scott told Corey he was doing just fine.

 

“I… I don’t know. I mean our breakup wasn’t exactly…,” Corey said. “Well, I guess it couldn’t hurt to meet, since you’ve moved back here. But that’s it. We just meet somewhere and… and talk?” He laughed. “Boy, it has been a while since you lived here. They sold that place. It’s a woman’s clothing store now. Do you remember the coffee shop we used to hang out at? … Yeah, Java Jolt. We could meet there tomorrow after I get off work. Say six-thirty? … Okay. I’ll see you then.”

 

Corey hung up, saying aloud so the stalker could hear, “Now that was definitely a surprise. Maybe… just maybe…. No. He was just letting me know he’s back in town. But still, if that’s all, then he wouldn’t have wanted us to get together. Would he?” He sighed. “I guess I’ll find out tomorrow.”

 

And hope to hell this works and my stalker is there, and at any club Scott and I decide to go as part of this— He chuckled. —this sting operation, I think it’s called. I just pray it’s the stalker who gets stung and not me.

 

2 comments: