Saturday, November 20, 2021

You Belong to Me – 7

 

 

The rest of Corey's shift went as always. He helped some of the men in their search for a job or a cheap apartment, and supervised cleaning the dorm rooms—a chore the men were required to do if they wanted to return again. At one point he broke up a fight between two teens before sitting down with the pair to find out what had happened.

 

“He stole something out of my backpack,” the older one said.

 

“Did not,” the younger one protested. “You left it on the table in the rec room. I was just going to return it to you.”

 

“Bullshit! You were putting it in your pack. I saw you.”

 

“Just ’til I could give it back.”

 

“What is this priceless treasure?” Corey asked. He figured it was probably gloves or some such, given the cold weather. He was surprised when the older boy dug a dog-eared book out of his pack. “Okay. That is a prize worth keeping.”

 

“Yeah, and it’s mine.” The older boy glared at the younger one. Then, inexplicably, his gaze softened. “When I’m done with it, if I see you around, I’ll lend it to you. Until then, hands off.”

 

“Thanks,” the younger kid muttered. “Is it good?”

 

When Corey left them, they were discussing the book and others they’d read.

 

Maybe I should write a book: A Day in the Life…. He smiled in amusement. Naw, Phil can do a movie script. Hell, as good as he is, he might even be able to sell it and get Daniel Radcliffe to play me. As if. He chuckled.

 

“What’s got you so happy?” Archie asked, coming up beside him. “Figure out who your secret Santa is?”

 

That sobered Corey immediately. “Nope. No clue.”

 

“Well, I’m sure she’ll let you know soon enough. She’s just teasing to up your anticipation level.”

 

“Then she doesn’t know me well. It just pissed me off.”

 

Archie waggled his eyebrows. “But she wants to. Know you well, that is.”

 

Corey shrugged before continuing on his way to the shelter’s admitting room. “Won’t happen if she doesn’t reveal herself.”

 

Won’t happen even if she does. But that’s none of Archie’s business.

 

4 comments: