Saturday, November 6, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 48

 

 

The following morning, as they were eating breakfast, Colin said, "I have a proposition for you."

 

Shane waggled his eyebrows. "The answer's 'yes'. I don't have to be at the theater until five."

 

"That's great, but I wasn't going to suggest we go back to bed. At least not this very moment." Colin paused to take a bite of his pancakes.

 

"You're going to leave me hanging until you finish eating?"

 

"Now that you mention it." Colin grinned before turning serious again. "You're going to need somewhere to stay other than the hotel, since you're sticking around."

 

Shane had the distinct feeling he knew where Colin was going with that, but decided to play it safe, just in case. "I know. Hopefully I can find a decent apartment that isn't halfway across town, and a cheap car. Taxi fares will break me."

 

"I'm sure the car won't be a problem. Check Craigslist for starters. As for an apartment…" Colin tapped his lip pensively. "I happen to know of someone who might be looking for a roommate, or more specifically, a housemate."

 

"Might be?" Shane asked, playing along now.

 

"Yes, if it's the right person. He's looking for a soon to be out-of-work actor, although he's certain the man won't have any problem finding a job with one of the local theaters, as good as he is."

 

"Well, damn. I know just the guy. He has a thing about artists, specifically one artist, and wouldn't mind at all sharing a house with him."

 

Colin grinned broadly. "So if I asked the actor to move in, he'd accept?"

 

"In a heartbeat," Shane replied adamantly. "Name the day."

 

"The sooner the better. How about this afternoon?"

 

"I think that can be arranged."

 

It was, with no problem, as all Shane had with him was, as he put it, "The clothes on my back and a few personal items." He did admit to having an apartment in a city several hundred miles from Denver. "But I sublet it, since I knew I'd be on the road for an extended period of time. There's not much there I want, other than my books and the rest of my clothes. I'm sure the woman will be happy to pack them up and send them out in exchange for my signing the lease over to her."

 

She was, and a week later several boxes were delivered to the house—after Shane had called his landlord about what he wanted, and then signed a contract the man emailed him.

 

As he unpacked his books and set them on one of the bookshelves in the living room, Colin came down from the studio. He smiled when he heard Shane humming. Something from a musical, he suspected, as he didn't recognize the song.

 

"You sound happy," Colin said.

 

"I am," Shane replied, stopping what he was doing to come over to him. "I have everything I dreamed about from the day we met." Putting his arms around Colin, he said, "This time it's going to work."

 

Colin nodded, replying softly. "It will. Nothing in life is more important than being there for the person you love. The one who loves you in return. We know that, now."

 

"And we'll never forget it." They kissed, tenderly, and then Shane returned to what he was doing—with Colin's willing assistance.


The End

4 comments:

  1. A beautiful end. With both wanting to put the work in I am sure they will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, that was beautiful. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying so. I'm happy you enjoyed the story.

      Delete