Tuesday, November 2, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 46

     

Lifting his beer, Shane said, "To us."

 

"To us," Colin replied, tapping his bottle with Shane's. He smiled. "There is an 'us', now, I think."

 

"I damned well hope so," Shane retorted. He took a deep breath, and a deep drink. "If there isn't, I'm going to feel like an idiot."

 

Cocking his head, Colin asked, "Why?"

 

"The guy who's place I took in the show is back in dancing shape, or will be before we're supposed to move on to Duluth. The director asked if I'd be willing to let them break my contract for a large payoff." Gazing directly at Colin, Shane said, "I told him that would be fine, as long as I got a glowing recommendation to put on my résumé, too. After all, I have a good reason to stick around here." He took Colin's hands. "At least I'm pretty sure I do."

 

"If you mean me, you do." Leaning in, Colin kissed him gently before pulling back. "I want you in my life again. You know that."

 

"I've always wanted you in mine," Shane said softly. "I know you had your doubts at the end, but I did."

 

"I believe you. If you'd said that the night you showed up at the gallery, I'd have called you a liar. Now…yes, I do believe you."

 

"Finally." Shane cupped one hand behind Colin's head, drawing him close enough to kiss. Much to his relief, Colin returned it heartily and for a moment it deepened. Easing out of it, Shane gestured toward their meal. "We should probably eat before it gets cold."

 

"Good point. We can continue this later."

 

Shane's libido went into overdrive as he hoped Colin meant that the way it sounded. He quickly tamped it down, just in case he didn't. To that end, he asked as he began eating, "Will you let me see the new painting, or is it too soon?"

 

Colin waggled his hand. "It's only the basics. There's a lot more I have to do to it. And…" He hesitated. "It's different from anything you've seen, including Kenny's."

 

That piqued Shane's interest. "Why?"

 

"I think because things have changed in the last couple of weeks. For the last few years, even before…" He waved his hand as if to dismiss what he was about to say. "How I used to paint, the way I depicted the depth of a dreamer's emotions, was too often based on my own emotions, and they weren't always that cheerful, to put it mildly."

4 comments: