Thursday, November 4, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 47

 

 

Shane nodded. "Sometimes they were. I could see it in some of the painting. The colors were as deep and rich, but the subject? Yeah, it expressed a love of life."

 

"Not as often as it should have," Colin replied with a grimace. "That being said, now, I'm…I'm happy, I guess you could say. Or at least hopeful. And it's your damned fault."

 

"Mine?"

 

"Yeah, yours. You came back. When you did, it made me look at what happened and realize, in spite of everything, that I still love you." Colin gripped Shane's arm. "Although I didn't want to accept it, even when I hated you, I never stopped loving you."

 

"It's a thin line, or so they say," Shane replied softly. "Perhaps, in some ways, I was in the same place, up here." He tapped his forehead. "Although it wasn't you I hated. It was my competition. There were times when I would willingly have destroyed your studio if it meant I'd have your complete and undivided attention. Insane, I know, but that was how it was." He sighed. "Instead, I destroyed what we had out of misplaced jealousy." Lifting Colin's hand from his arm, he held it tightly. "I promise with all that's in me I won't let that happen again."

 

Gazing into Shane's eyes, Colin said, "I swear, I won't give you a reason to." Ruefully, he added, "Of course you might have to drag me away, kicking and screaming, at times."

 

"No, I don't think that will happen. We want this to work. This will be a second chance at proving we love each other, and this time, damn it, we're going to do it right."

 

"We are," Colin replied emphatically before kissing him deeply.

 

Shane returned it as given, with love—and need. "When we finish—" He waved a hand at their partially eaten dinner once the kiss ended.

 

Colin nodded as he pushed back from the table and stood. "You know, suddenly I'm not in the least bit hungry. So, why wait?"

 

They didn't.

 

A long time later, having relearned all they needed to know about how well they meshed as physical as well as emotional lovers, Colin and Shane fell asleep in each others arms.

4 comments:

  1. I am happy they both know that they messed up and both need to work on keeping their relationship together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad they are getting it.

    ReplyDelete