Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Making the Rent the Hard Way - 35

 


"You've done something like this before," Luca said.

Rocky grinned. "Yep. I wasn't always a bartender. I was the tactical expert for my pack, way back when, defending against other packs who wanted our territory. Those were the good old days, before things calmed down and my skills weren't needed anymore."

"I'm not even asking how old you are," I muttered, getting laughs from the others. "Okay," I said when the laughter died down, "we have a plan. I suggest we put together what Luca and I need for our stay at the old house." I shot him a look. "Do you have sleeping bags here?"

Luca winced. "Nope."

"Don't worry about it," Rocky said. "We'll do this tonight, so you won't be there long enough to need themor food."

"That soon?" I frowned. "You and Orchid only just delivered the second round of information."

"And one went to his stooge, Mr. Tipton. By now he's undoubtedly called Farnham in a panic, so Farnham's going to be out for blood."

"Ours," Luca muttered.

"That's the plan," Rocky agreed, asking Luca for an image of the basement at the house.

Luca gave it to him and Orchid. Then he took my hand, and bingo, we were there. 

"First, I need to get the lay of the land," I heard Rocky say, although I couldn't see him because there were no windows in the basement. "But even before that, you guys need light. I'll be right back." He was, carrying two battery-powered camping lanterns. He turned them on and I saw what Luca had meant about the basement being pretty barren. Battered was a kind description of the sofa resting on three legs against one wall. The shelves he'd mentioned were across from it, with a set of very narrow stairs to the ground floor next to them.

"Hardly a mansion," Orchid commented. "Hopefully, you two won't be here for more than a few hours, at best."

"Better not be. I don't do well in caves," I grumbled.

Rocky had already taken off again, presumably to see what he had to work with when it came to dealing with Farnham and his people when they showed up. That wouldn't happen, however, until I called the bastard.

Rocky came back, looking hopeful as he said, "Give me until midnight to get my friends here and in place. I'll let you know when they are, then you can make your call, Cade. Come on, Orchid. I could use your help."

She grinned. "As always. I don't know what you'd do without me." A split second later, it was just me and Luca.

"Are they more than friends?" I asked him.

"Got me. But from her comment, I'd say probably. Damn. We should have brought something to sit on. No way I'm using that." He pointed to the sofa.

"There's the stairs. Or we could go up and find something that's at least out in the fresh air."

Luca shook his head. "Not a good idea. We may think we know how things are going to play out, but if we're wrong and Farnham had someone following you here the first time that neither of us picked up on, he could be keeping an eye on the place in case we come back again."

I puffed out a breath as I sat on the stairs. "True. Not a nice idea, but…"

"Yeah. So, we're stuck in here."

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Sitting around is hard for someone who is always go go go. But spread the bags out and kiss! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a tough place to be stuck

    ReplyDelete