Sunday, December 13, 2020

Making the Rent the Hard Way - 27


"All clear," Orchid said when we landed. "At least in here. No clue if anyone's out on the street watching."

I wasn't about to go to the windows to check. Instead, I turned on the light in the bedroom as if I was just getting up for the day. She stood in the doorway, looking at me. "You and Luca?" she said.

"Are just friends. Nothing more."

"Just friends don't fuck," she said pointedly.

"Sure they do. What do you think 'friends with benefits' means?"

She waggled a finger at me. "That's not what you said."

"Damn, Orchid."

She grinned. "I'm betting you getting involved with him has more to do with how you feel about him than a need to screw to release tension."

"Then you'd be wrong. Besides, it takes two and I haven't gotten any vibes from him that he sees me as more than someone who's trying to get Farnham off his back."

"So he's paying you with sex?"

"No," I protested, even as her question made me wonder if that was exactly what Luca was doing.

She must have caught my dismay, since she gripped my hand, saying, "I was teasing, Cade. I've never met him until tonight, but Rocky's talked about him. Luca is nothing else if not honorable. He's not the kind of guy who'd do that."

I nodded, hoping she was right, because, against my better judgment, I did find Luca interesting. Was it the situation we were in? Maybe. Maybe not. I wasn't sure. That didn't negate the fact I liked him—more than I should, all things considered.

"Go home," I said, unwilling to continue the conversation. "I have to shower, eat, and get my ass out of here."

She smiled, shocked me by kissing my cheek, then vanished.

 

4 comments: